cleaning very old hardwood floor

Old 09-14-13, 09:29 AM
cleaning very old hardwood floor

We bought a home that was built around 1830 and just found the original hardwood floor under 3/4 inch plywood. So pulled up all plywood to find very wonderful floor, will need some redo but for the most part in great condition. My question is what do I use to clean this, must be about 60 years of diry and does need a really good scrubbing to be able to see what the floors really look like (right now almost black with dirt) I have looked all over the web and so many different things that I am lost. The last thing I want to do is cause any damage to these floors.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-13, 11:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums!

More than likely you'll need to sand and refinish the floors to get them acceptable looking. As for cleaning the years of ground in dirt/grime - I'd think most any detergent would be ok, just go easy with how much water you get on the floor.

Old 09-15-13, 06:38 AM
So any kind of soap would be OK? This is how I get so confused because on some sites they say never use soap of any kind and others say never use vinegar others say never murphys.

Old 09-15-13, 07:35 AM
You definitely don't want to use vinegar, if the wood contains tannin, it will stain it black. As marksr said, go easy on the water, don't flood it. I would try the Murphy's with a damp sponge first to remove the surface dust, rinse with a damp sponge and dry with a rag. After that try paint thinner with fine steel wool. If you're not getting results it's probably time for a light surface sanding.

Old 09-16-13, 01:01 PM
don't bother wasting time cleaning, just refinish the floor, if it's in as good of condition as you make it sound it won't take much and you'll end up with an amazing floor. they've been around since 1830, they deserve it.