Staggering Laminate

Old 09-17-13, 01:01 PM
Staggering Laminate

I have a room that I am going to be putting laminate down. The room is 15' 9" wide. My laminate is 48" long. Since I only have 3" waste (3.5" including 1/4" space on each end) on the first row, what would be the best way to stagger this and prevent the least amount of waste?

Thanks!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-13, 02:08 PM
Group Moderator
A lot of cutting but my first thought is 1 1/6" off each board and then cut one in half and put it on the ends in every other row. If that's too regular, you could cut one board on each row so you have 1/3 and 2/3 of the board so you could stagger the rows by starting with a full piece at one end, then a 1/3 length piece on the next row and then a 2/3 length piece on the following row, then repeating that pattern.

Old 10-02-13, 01:58 PM
Thanks Mitch. I was waiting to see if any more suggestions came in to see if I could avoid so much cutting. This will bump it back up so someone else may have an idea.
Thanks again!!

Old 10-02-13, 04:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Mitch got it correct on his first post, was not a need to add to the conversation that might confuse. You stagger the joints and you use the end scraps to start the next row and move forward.

Old 10-03-13, 08:57 AM
I understand to stagger the joints and use the ends on the next row. Just as Mitch said, seemed like a whole lot of cutting and there is also always more than one way to skin a cat, so to speak, and
thought someone would give me an option with other ideas. Just up against it with the waste factor and wanted to make sure to cut the waste to as small as possible.
And BTW, I am already confused. ))
Thanks if anyone can contribute.

Old 10-03-13, 01:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Do you not have anything to cut it with? It is part of the install process to make the floor look natural. If you don't stagger at least every 3 rows it looks un-natural and shouts a fake floor. Any regular lines will pull your eyes and that is what will be noticed. I have done complete room installs with just a jigsaw (skill saw blade was shot and had to improvise). Staggering also makes for a stronger floor overall as it spreads out the joints so that they don't work against each other when the floor expands and contracts.

Cutting is part of the job. You have to cut the flooring, you have to cut the moldings around doors, you have to undercut the door jambs to slide the floor under and you have to cut around any obstacles (baseboard heaters, floor registers, etc). and if you did not remove baseboard moldings, you will have to create a dive back cut near the door moldings so that the entry point to going under the door molding is before you get to the molding. You then cover everything with shoe molding. (I think that qualifies as a run on sentance)

Waste is part of the job as well. I am known for very little waste. but they say 10% for cuts (I average less than 5%). You also WANT to have left over flooring. The leftovers come in mighty handy if you have damage down the road. In 3 years, you will not be able to find replacement planks, so get them now and stash them away on the if come.

Old 10-03-13, 02:11 PM
Red face

Czizzi, Thanks for the reply, I know and understand everything you are saying and that is why I inquired. I also have plenty of cutting tools. I was simply wanting a different opinion on the measures for the cuts. Mitch gave me his opinion of what the cuts could be and I was just hoping to see an alternative to these cut measurements, that's all. I have had the laminate for some time and I am wanting to add a hallway to the area to be covered and doing so only allows for a 7% waste factor. I see if you were doing that Czizzi, that would not be a problem but most things I read indicate you need to allow for 10%.
Thanks again!! And not a problem with the run on sentences.

Old 10-03-13, 02:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sometimes you just have to lay things down on the ground as sort of a test fit to see where all the elements fall before you start cutting. It helps you make sense of the whole puzzle. Even though I know that the planks are 48" long and say 8 inches wide, I still will make a story board. that tells me what the measurement will be across the room. This is more critical in tile applications but works for you on laminate. So, width wise it goes 8, 16, 24, 32, 40...etc. Physically lay the boards together and string them the width of the room. Then take actual measurements. you will be surprised that the number will creep on you. But this helps you plan for obstacles like a wall jog or door opening where the threshold will take additional length. But plan well up front to minimize waste during the install.

If you start with a full piece on the width side of the room, what does that leave you on the other side? A sliver or a good size piece? If you can prevent cuts to the first row and the last row that will save you a couple of boards. The length is what it is, and the stagger needs to happen. There will be minimal waste in that direction. Calculate how many planks you need to do the hallway and see if you can finish the main room with what is left.