Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Uneven / Cracked Gypcrete floor

TX

09-18-13, 07:53 PM   #1  
Uneven / Cracked Gypcrete floor

Hello All,

I am seeking advice for my laminate floor installation on the 2nd floor master bedroom of my townhome. I have removed all of the old laminate installed by the previous owner and am now faced with a dilemma. The floor is not plywood as I had hoped, it is what I believe to be "gyp-crete" based on my online research. Likely due to the settled foundation and old age of the unit the gypecrete is cracked in certain places and slightly uneven. There is one main problem spot where there is a sunken circular area about 2.5 feet in diameter where the gypecrete has cracked and broken up a bit. I could feel this sunken spot with the old laminate flooring installed. Initially I thought I would just pour a filler/leveling compound over this but after doing some reading online I am afraid to do a band-aid fix. If this gypcrete is poured ontop of plywood, surely it is warped underneath this sunken area, right? Should I be worried about the structural rigidity of my floor? As I said, this is the second floor above my living room and if I jump the floor does shake. I am having trouble determining if I'm being paranoid or if there is actually a problem that needs to be addressed. A majority of the gypcrete floor is actually in good shape so I would hate to rip it all up.

I have posted pictures of the problem area and the room although i know they are poor quality. I would greatly appreciate any advice.

Attached Images

Sponsored Links

09-26-13, 08:33 PM   #2  
I have a very similar problem, in that my gypcrete looks really bad, but I think the underlying wood is solid. I wish to put a floating laminate on top of it once I get it repaired. There is one really bad spot near the kitchen that might need a more thorough investigation, but I am afraid to go tearing the gypcrete out without being ready to replace it / patch it / whatever.

Search this Thread