Uneven folor/texture of old hardwood floors

Old 09-20-13, 08:11 PM
Uneven folor/texture of old hardwood floors

Hi all,

I have a quick question. We recently bought a house that is 80+ years old, ripped off some carpet and found some nice hardwood floor underneath that was in great condition. Our contractor said he could sand it down and add varnish to make it look like the rest of the hardwood in the house. The color turned out pretty close and I'm very happy with that. But the issue that I have is that the color is not consistent nor is the texture. What I mean is that when I run my hand across the floor, I can feel areas that are very rough and then immediately beside it there are areas that are very smooth with a plastic-y feel. When I look at the floor from a tangent, I can see brush strokes in the floor! I'm pretty sure this is not the way it's supposed to be, but my contractor keeps telling me it's because the floor is super old that it's turned out uneven. Does that make any sense?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-13, 08:47 PM
Rhetorical excuses contractors use.....

You asked: "Does this make sence?"
When anyone tells me a line of bullony my inner voice generally says... Say what?
Im guessing you in some way doubt what the contractor said, well you are right, its BS.
It is unfortunate clients get excuses rather than good work. whoever this idiot was who did your floors did you a doservice and ruined the j.o.b.

Old 09-21-13, 02:37 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
A better answer, with proper spelling , would have been something like this: Your floor should have had no "brush strokes", as most finishes are installed using rollers. True, the texture of the floor could have had a great deal to do with the way it absorbed the finish. The roughness you are feeling, is it due to the floor's unevenness or the texture of the finish? How many coats of poly did he apply, and what type/brand did he use. Some polys are better than others.

Old 09-21-13, 03:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Years ago it was commonplace to apply the floor coating with a brush - but even then there was rarely any brush marks visible in the finish!! Today pads are used which is quicker/easier than using a brush ...... and you can use a roller pole attached to the pad which saves your back

A normal floor job consists of sanding [and removing the dust] stain [or not] and then 3 coats of poly, sanding and removing the dust between coats. From the description it sounds like the floor needs a light sanding and another coat of poly. Some woods 'drink' more poly than others, multiple coats should even it out.

btw - welcome to the forums!

Old 09-21-13, 05:55 AM
Thanks for the answer guys. It basically confirms what I thought. When you say 'poly', that refers to the varnish right? Because I'm pretty sure he only put one coat on.
Also, the plasticy feel on the floor is from the varnish right? I can see like little drops of it on the floor and it drives me insane!

Thanks!

Old 09-21-13, 06:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Polyurethane is preferred for floors because it's more durable than varnish but a good floor varnish should be ok. I believe what you are seeing is where the wood sucked up the varnish at an uneven rate. The softer areas of the wood sucked up the varnish taking the sheen with and probably raising the grain also. The harder areas of wood let the varnish lay on top and retain it's sheen. A light sanding, removal of the dust and another coat of varnish will make a big improvement.

Not sure what you mean by drops in the floor. Are they drips? or spots? would it show up in a pic?
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html