hardwood flooring nightmare!

Old 09-23-13, 11:07 AM
hardwood flooring nightmare!

ok, so i have a house that was built in the mid 70's. i recently decided i wanted hardwood floors throughout the living room, hallway and master bedroom. i pulled up the carpeting and to my surprise i find 5/8" particle board (ugh!). i know you don't want to nail down hardwood onto particle board so i ripped it all out. come to find out my plywood subfloor is 1/2", way too thin for hardwoods. couple questions for the gurus...

1. what do you think the minimum thickness of plywood should i put on top of the subfloor? i was thinking 3/8" would work. it would also keep the transitions between rooms in check.

2. glue and screw? no glue? nails? i'm leaning to glue and screw from my research. if i do go that route do i avoid screwing into the joists?

3. should i lay the new plywood over the subfloor perpendicular? or should i lay it down perpendicular to the joists like the old subfloor?

thank you very much!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-13, 12:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! Yeah particle board wasn't on the list of creation, I don't believe You should have a minimum of 3/4" subflooring with such as Advantech. If a second layer is needed, then a 1/2" layer, not glued, and not nailed to the joists, only to the Advantech. It allows for "slip" between the two layers. Lay the plywood perpendicular to the joisting, offsetting the joints. You already have 1/2" subflooring, and to avoid having to remove it, add the 1/2" or 3/4" in the same manner.

Old 09-23-13, 12:49 PM
chandler, thank you for the advice. i guess i didn't think i would need to go as thick as 1/2" to amend my current 1/2" subfloor. however i do realize that a strong, flat base will only make for a better hardwood installation.

i didn't quite catch your response on how the added layer should be fastened to the old subfloor. should i use screws or nails? makes sense not to fasten to joists to allow the 'slip'. i do need to screw down a couple spots on the original subfloor due to squeaks though.

Old 09-23-13, 03:07 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
On your original layer, yes, fasten it to the joists using at least 1 5/8" decking screws (not sheetrock screws). This will help eliminate squeaks. On the second layer, intentionally miss the joists. Sorry I wasn't clear.