finishes for new oak floors?

Old 10-03-13, 12:32 PM
finishes for new oak floors?

What wouild be the best finish for new installed oak floors? Both the stain and the varnish or clear sealer?

Stairs are in main part of home; high, heavy traffic.

Any ideas, comments appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-13, 12:46 PM
Group Moderator
Polyurethane - 3 coats with a light scuff sand in between coats (have to remove the sanding dust before applying the next coat). Personally, I don't think I'd stain the floor but it's up to you if you want to do that before the poly - I like the color of raw wood with the amber of oil based poly on it.

Old 10-03-13, 01:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I also prefer the way oil base poly deepens the colors naturally in the wood and ambers as it ages. As noted, which stain [or not] to use is a matter of personal choice. So is the sheen although a satin sheen won't show wear as bad as a glossier finish.

If you decide to use a water based poly, go to a flooring store and see what they have to offer, normally their water based finishes are tougher than what you'll find at a big box store. Water based polys don't change the look of the wood any [other than sheen] and don't yellow any with age.

Have the stair treads been installed yet? If not, I'd suggest staining and applying 2 coats of poly prior to installation. That way the stairs are only closed for the time it takes 1 coat to dry instead of 3-4.