Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Laminate floors before leveling house

CAL

10-19-13, 06:12 PM   #1  
Laminate floors before leveling house

Hi all,

Just bought my first home and got to work getting the stinky carpets out of the bedrooms today. Found tile underneath and am getting rid of that too, down to the planked subfloor.
Question is this:
I need to have the piers and posts replaced sometime in the next year or two, and am wondering how the leveling of the house will jive with installing floating laminate flooring in the bedrooms (at least, might do the whole house).

Basically, I have to replace the carpets with *something* now. If I install laminate in the bedrooms and then have the house leveled later, will I run into issues with the flooring?

Thanks,
Matt

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

VA

10-19-13, 06:24 PM   #2  
A simple answer is yes. If the floors not flat now then you should not be installing a floor like laminate anyway. It will cause issues even before the house is leveled.

CAL

10-19-13, 06:40 PM   #3  
Even in a small room? I'll check level tomorrow, but I know the house sags toward the middle. We're talking 10x10 and 10x7 rooms btw.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

VA

10-19-13, 07:40 PM   #4  
If the whole floor was flat, but out of level is one thing.
Yours is not flat. Look up the install directions on the flooring your considering for the spec on how far it can be off in so many feet.

CAL

10-19-13, 07:46 PM   #5  
Actually, I'm doing a little more research, and it appears that what I'm uncovering is the original floor... I guess before "subfloor" was a concept?

Anyway, It has glue and paint on it, but I think that if I'm careful I can salvage it.

It's a 1927 home in San Deigo, CA. Not sure what the wood is, but it's reddish.

Here's a pic from when I first started to uncover it.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Y...019_141334.jpg

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

10-20-13, 04:10 AM   #6  
That is probably the sub floor. It was common back then to use T&G for the sub floor instead of plywood [same was true for the roof decking] It would be hard to tell for sure which species until it's cleaned up some but redwood is pretty prevalent out your way. Is that a plywood patch in the bottom of the pic?

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Search this Thread