Where to start floor on townhome

Old 10-22-13, 08:17 AM
Where to start floor on townhome

Hello,

I will be installing 3/4" solid oak hardwood flooring upstairs on my three level town home. I wish to have a continuous floor between all three bedrooms and the hallway coming off the stairwell. I believe I have floor trusses and not standard joists because of the thickness of the entire floor (from ceiling of downstairs to top of sub-floor (about 2 feet thick) and the visible nails are more than 16" OC (around 21" I think, not home to measure). My floor-plan is attached.

My question is where is the best place to begin the flooring. Originally I was going to begin in the bedroom shown but my concern is keeping the alignment on track getting to the walls in the other rooms, and also with possibly having to reverse the direction to better handle expansion.

I'm curious to hear how those experts out there would handle this.

Thank you.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-13, 09:24 AM
Group Moderator
I would use a laser that projects a line. Set the laser so it shoots its line from the bottom wall of the master bedroom through the hall and to the far wall. Measure from the laser line to the walls in the hall, bedrooms and measure all the way over to the outside wall on the far right. I would make the line parallel to the most visible walls like the hall and the bedroom walls near the hall doors. If it looks good (the line's position parallel to the visible walls) then measure over to the outside wall on the right and mark a starting line. You are using the laser to give you a common straight line so you can mark starting lines in both bedrooms that are exactly in line with each other. This line may not be exactly parallel to the outer wall but this might be a good place to hide any out of square issues the building might have where it might be hidden under the base molding.

Lay your wood from the far right wall doing both rooms at about the same rate. Periodically measure from the wood to the laser line to insure that you are keeping both rooms in line with each other. Then, if you did it right, when you get to the hallway your boards can go front to back (top to bottom of your drawing) in one continuous line.

Old 10-22-13, 10:26 AM
Thank you for the quick detailed response. So, a 90 Degree right angle has to be drawn from the laser so that the rooms have a starting point? I assume you mean to measure from the green line to the wood to ensure the distance is the same in bedroom 1 and 2 so that when the wood gets to the hallway juncture the planks are aligned? Am I missing anything?

Attached Images  
Old 10-22-13, 03:15 PM
Group Moderator
I would go the other direction with the wood as the longer laser line makes it more error tolerant. If you go the other way (like shown in your last drawing just run your laser in the other direction so you don't have to create an accurate 90 degrees but since you're only working with the doorway 32"-36" openings of the one room you have to be quite accurate. A small error measuring through the door will be greatly magnified at the right end of that upper right bedroom. Running wood in the other direction makes the measuring much easier since you can measure at the ends of both starting rooms.

Old 10-22-13, 04:29 PM
I wanted to lay it the way you suggested but I'm not sure if I can because of my floor joists system and their spacing. I drew them in orange on my first picture. (not to scale).