Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Middle of Project and ran into issue -

NC

10-23-13, 10:13 AM   #1  
Middle of Project and ran into issue -

So after reading/lurking through these and other forums I tackled installing my first laminate flooring. I think I ran into an issue; my measurements show that I will have issues with the flooring lining up after it goes around a room and kitchen cabinets that is in middle of the house (half bath) in which the cabinets are backed against. I will not know for sure how bad I will be off but my measurements show that they will be almost 1/2" off from meeting back up.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I would prefer not to put down any T molding. I have attached a picture. I do not understand how this happenedd as I cut out the wall cuts from full width planks; so they should line up. I could potentially disassemble back a bit and somehow push the laminate more towards each other (it will be a pain bc I glued all the tongues and grooves) if that is something that is acceptable?

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

VA

10-23-13, 01:04 PM   #2  
Your first mistake was to glue the laminate. Your second mistake was to not take constant measurements throughout the install. I would have used lazers to keep everything perfectly straight. Your run of laminate through the narrow hallway near the pantry is the cause of the out of sync laminate at the other side of the counter. Since they are glued together, you do not have the option of shifting and moving the floor so that they can line up again.

I would bite the bullet and install a t-molding strip at the transition between the dining room and the pantry hallway. This will break the two sections and allow you to shift the kitchen portion to line up with the balance of the floor.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

VA

10-23-13, 03:44 PM   #3  
There's just no way to run laminate though all those opens like that.
Engineered or real hard wood yes, but not laminate.
Right in the directions I'd bet it says to start at the longest straight wall.
You chose to start it the opposite way.

Forum Topic Moderator

MO

10-23-13, 04:49 PM   #4  
All laminate is supposed to have T molding every so many ft, depending on the brand It has to be able to expand and contract or it will buckle.

Search this Thread