Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Gaps between planks on already installed floor

NJ

10-23-13, 02:28 PM   #1  
Gaps between planks on already installed floor

I recently purchased a house. The wooden floor planks have gaps in between at some locations. What is the best way to fill up the gap so dirt doesn't get in there? I have heard about wood filler, is that the best option?

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

10-23-13, 02:43 PM   #2  
Would it be possible for you to post a few pictures of your problem areas? It would help us to help you, by allowing us to see what you see. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

VA

10-23-13, 02:48 PM   #3  
Got a picture? Way to little info.
Wood floors expand and contract a lot with changes in temp. and humidly.
It's almost never a great idea to use a filler.
When the floor expands again it can damage the flooring and crack the filler.
Just adding more humidly to the air with a humidifier may be enough to get it to close up.

NJ

10-24-13, 08:02 AM   #4  
Here are the pics

Name:  DSC04891.JPG
Views: 1135
Size:  28.2 KBName:  DSC04890.JPG
Views: 1514
Size:  32.1 KBName:  DSC04892.JPG
Views: 2006
Size:  32.8 KBName:  DSC04894.JPG
Views: 1739
Size:  29.4 KB

Here are the pics of the floor I was talking about. This has been like this for sometime. Change in weather/seasons hasn't changed the movement of the planks.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

10-24-13, 09:45 AM   #5  
You almost always have to use a small amount of filler when finishing floors but generally the gaps aren't that wide. Keeping the temp and humidity constant goes a long ways toward keeping the filler in place.

I'd probably get a jar of colored putty as close to the wood color as you can and push it into the cracks. You'll want a rag damp with mineral spirits to clean the excess off of the finished wood.
Ideally you'd take an artist brush and apply poly over the putty

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

CANADA

10-27-13, 09:26 PM   #6  
I'm not a pro but this sort of T&G floor is really one of those things that I like to think I do really well, and I've done a lot of it.

My first question is - How area are we talking about? If it's not that big I'd really consider pulling this floor up and replacing it. I've never had to use any kind of filler in my floors but I don't believe any sort of putty or filler would leave you with something that would look better than $0.75 / sq ft laminate.

With gaps like this it pretty clear it wasn't installed properly. Unless this room has a sun-roof there's no way these gaps were caused by "after-the-fact" climate issues. Good news is that you may be able be able to CAREFULLY pry this stuff up and re-install the flooring.

If you can I would try to contact the last owner to see if they can tell you where it was purchased so you can buy the same stuff to replace what gets broken during the removal.

Great trick as you re-install to keep it tight:

Name:  floor.jpg
Views: 746
Size:  8.2 KB

Cut a piece of flooring diagonally with the groove fitting into the leading edge tongue so you don't damage it.

screw the lower wedge onto the sub floor.

Whack the wedge against the leading edge to force the leading piece tight to the proceeding plank.

Good luck

NJ

10-31-13, 10:27 AM   #7  
Thanks everyone. I think fill the gaps with similar color putty would be an easy way out. Its not a big area so I do not want to rip out the floor and redo the work. Even thought i have some left over planks, I rather save time and money on labor.

Search this Thread