Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Hole in hardwood flooring...how to patch?

IL

10-25-13, 11:46 AM   #1  
Hole in hardwood flooring...how to patch?

I have a hole in some hardwood flooring. It is perpendicular to the direction of the boards & spans 4 boards. So maybe 2 inches by 8 inches. It looks like a clean/deliberate cut because I can't see the ridges that help the boards lock up. Right now I just have expanding foam in there but wondering how would the pros fix that up?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

10-25-13, 01:46 PM   #2  
A pic or two would be helpful. Normally you remove the damaged boards and lace in some new ones.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

IL

10-26-13, 07:55 AM   #3  
Ok, so I wouldn't just be patching the hole, you're saying I need to remove the whole board & put in a proper sized one. Didn't realize taking out the non-damaged portion.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

10-26-13, 12:55 PM   #4  
Usually if you just plug the hole - you wind up with a patch that you'll always see, maybe one that your eye is drawn to Lacing in a new board [s] along with proper finishing helps to make it look like the hole was never there.

IL

10-26-13, 08:24 PM   #5  
Got it. Figured there may have been something similar to a drywall patch for hardwood flooring but I guess not. Thanks.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

10-27-13, 04:21 AM   #6  
If you planned to cover the hardwood with another floor covering - it would be ok to just plug the hole. You could cut and insert a small piece of wood to fill the hole as a temporary fix but for it to look right - new [or salvaged] wood needs to be laced in.

Search this Thread