Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Another Door Jamb Question: Can I Just Start at Door?

10-26-13, 03:02 PM   #1  
Another Door Jamb Question: Can I Just Start at Door?

Hello, I tried reading all of the posts here related to door jamb questions, but did not find the one I'm asking.

Can I start at the door jamb? I'm laying laminate and haven't begun putting any planks down yet. I've made the undercuts and am about to trim (cut) the plank so it fit under the molding and where the threshold will go. All tutorials say I have to lay the first plank in the corner of the wall opposite the door and work my way from there.

Why can't I start at the door and go from there instead, thus avoiding the hassle of cutting the tongue and gluing planks together?

Many thanks!
Lear

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

VA

10-26-13, 03:10 PM   #2  
The floor is a floating type installation. It will move all over the place as you try to install subsequent boards. Starting on a solid wall, spacers are used to stabilize and hold the required expansion gap until ready to cover with base molding and shoe. Starting in the center will cause you more grief than it is worth. Also, laminate is not as user friendly going in the opposite direction of standard install. Tongue into groove is easy, groove over tongue is a challenge.

10-26-13, 03:31 PM   #3  
Thans for the reply!
I kind of get what you're saying. But if I start in the center, at the door, and move immediately to the corner as I lay planks--using spacers of course, won't it eventually stabilize?

Forum Topic Moderator

VA

10-26-13, 03:47 PM   #4  
Everybody need to experience pain in his/her own way, but when you are warned in advance, you own the agony. Frustration will be plenty just doing your first install. Adding an additional level of difficulty, unnecessarily, will sour you from future projects.

Can you try it, yes. Would I recommend, no.

Search this Thread