Squeaking, popping floating laminate flooring

Old 10-30-13, 02:18 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Squeaking, popping floating laminate flooring

I recently installed Pergo laminate flooring in my home. I did all the expansion gaps and underlayment steps, and even shaved down some high spots on the concrete subfloor, ( a lot of dusty, messy work with the diamond blade grinder wheel) but i guess it wasn't enough. I've heard of people drilling a 1/16" hole where the noises occur and injecting diluted glue to fill the gap under the laminate. I was told this would not work since the laminate would not be able to expand freely. Would silicone work instead, since it is more flexible? I would hate to take up all the flooring and do the self leveling concrete since I've already put the molding and caulk down. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-30-13, 02:50 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Sadly to say, welcome to the world of laminate. Not all of them are the same, and overall laminate quality is low to begin with. I know you used a high name product, but it is still laminate. I doubt anything you do now will rectify the popping sound as that is the nature of the stuff. Did you use a pergo approved underlayment? Sometimes changing from the suggested products will have adverse affects. Did you glue it or was it a click lock application?

Old 10-30-13, 06:12 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Do not glue it down to the floor in anyway shape or form!

Old 10-30-13, 10:34 AM
P
Yes it is a click and lock type laminate. Why couldn't you use some kind of liquid filler material like "Dri Tac" to stop the noises? If you look up "Dri Tac" on Utube you can c the product. It seems that a lot of people are having this "noise problem...there must be an easier way to eliminate this problem without taking out all the flooring and redoing it again. Thanks for the comments.

Old 10-30-13, 10:45 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,267 Upvotes on 1,207 Posts
Laminate is a floating floor, it needs to be able to move. Glue it to the floor and it will buckle and separate.

Old 10-30-13, 03:29 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Certain other types of flooring can be "re-glued" to the subfloor. These would be glue down or nail down floor types. Your floating floor is designed to move, expand and has a foam cushion under it. As others have said, it is not a candidate for gluing.

It is actually a good thing that it is a laminate in that you CAN easily peel it back, repair the dip, and reinstall. Would be very difficult to do with other types of flooring. I know you noticed the issue prior to the install and tried to correct. Proper installations include proper preparation of the substrate to prevent these types of issues. We all learn things the hard way sometimes, consider this a good lesson learned and one you will not repeat next time.

Let us know if you need help with leveling the floor when you get to that step.

Old 10-31-13, 02:42 AM
P
Thanks for all the input. What happens when you level the flooring substrate and you come to a transition? I have carpet in three bedrooms and laid flexible laminate in the kitchen (I should've used the flexible throughout the house and no more squeaking). Because the leveled floor might be higher than the transition where it meets the kitchen and bedrooms, how do you make the two surfaces meet on a level basis? And when you do spread the concrete, when you come to the carpet do you let it flow under the carpet into the bedrooms? Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: