need sound proofing for laminate floor but it's already installed

Old 11-04-13, 05:16 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
need sound proofing for laminate floor but it's already installed

Hi, I had 12mm laminate floors installed in my condo. The flooring came with a 2mm pad attached to it. The people below me are now complaining about noise, mostly airborne noise. I wish a put a sound pad or cork underneath it. So my question is, is it a big deal to lift up the entire floor (900sq) and put a cork pad underneath it? I'm guessing it would be tricky keeping track of all the boards. Is there a better option to control the sound? I have angled the ceilings which probably doesn't help with the sound. I've noticed the sound levels in the condo travel much more than when I had carpet. Thanks for any suggestions.

Old 11-04-13, 09:39 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
One of the many draw backs with laminate.
Lot's of condo associations have banned them.
Use pieces of blue tape to number the end pieces.
It's all got to come out.
If the room is small and you have several people you may be able to remove a whole row at a time and stack them up.

Old 11-05-13, 02:39 AM
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Removing laminate will most likely damage the locking system unless you are very careful. Adding any type of padding under it, that is not recommended by the flooring manufacturer will void the warranty. Adding a thicker padding will make the laminate squishy, and furniture legs will cause warpage in the floor. It's not just laminate (although I recommend against it in the first place), but any solid flooring, even nail down, will cause a difference in noise transmission.

Old 02-16-14, 05:45 PM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your replies. I'm going to lift up the floor and place either cork or an underlay beneath it. If it doesn't work then I'll need to go back to carpet. This will be my first time uninstalling/installing laminate flooring. It's Armstrong Lock&Fold flooring. How likely is it that I'll damage the boards? I have extra boards so if I damage a few it's not a big deal. Also, would cork be the best option to fix the sound issue but also prevent squishiness? Thanks.

Old 02-16-14, 06:26 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cork should be better, but once again laminate was just a poor chose in flooring.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: