Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Laminate to Tile Transition Major Issue!!

KY

11-11-13, 04:48 PM   #1  
Laminate to Tile Transition Major Issue!!

I began laying laminate flooring this weekend and got about 99% done, all the way over to my kitchen, which is laid in ceramic tile. It starts with a 3/8" plywood, then backer board, then the tile. Once I got my laminate over to the tile I realized how off it was. The tile is 1 and 1/8" high from subfloor to tile top. My laminate is only 1/2" thick. I know, now, that I should've laid plywood over the sub floor to account for the variance. What are my options? Can I salvage the floor? Or must I pull it all up, lay plywood over entire floor, then relay laminate and join with T- molding?

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NE

11-11-13, 07:49 PM   #2  
I would probably make a real wood transition, bevel it as needed to match the two different levels of the floors and stain and finish it to match your laminate as closely as possible. It would probably need a rabbet to fit over your laminate so as to cover the edge, allow some room for expansion and contraction but no fasteners would penetrate the laminate floor or the tile floor... just through the wood transition.

Search this Thread