Laminate over linoleum question

Old 11-15-13, 10:36 AM
Laminate over linoleum question

My husband and I are in the process of installing handscraped laminate flooring. We did our living room with the blue plastic as a moisture barrier and are fixing to do our kitchen which currently has linoleum. My husband is thinking of using the linoleum as a moisture barrier for the laminate. It would save us time of ripping it up and putting the plastic down. Has anyone ever done this before? Can linoleum be used as a moisture barrier for laminate?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-13, 12:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
That would work but you may end up regretting it latter.
Laminates a poor choice for a kitchen, bathroom or basement.
I have one right now I have to pull out from water damage.
All it takes is one mishap.

Old 11-15-13, 12:17 PM
I agree with Joe on the poor choice in a water area such as a kitchen or bathroom. Not going to be happy in the long run. In addition the linoleum, although it may serve as a "moisture" barrier, laminate needs a cushion to keep from wearing out too quickly and sounding like a barrel when you walk on it. Linoleum won't provide this.

Old 11-15-13, 12:27 PM
The blue plastic doesn't provide a cushion either. It depends on what laminate you purchase. There are tons of different kinds. The laminate we chose is handscraped and it has a pre-attached padding for cushion. If you want cushion, make sure you get the padding already attached. And about the water issue, there are ways to prevent damage. You can put a sealer on laminate to stop water from hurting it. We put a sealer in our living room. My husband has already dropped a cup of liquid on it. And it didn't hurt the floor AT ALL.

Old 11-15-13, 12:35 PM
Are you installing laminate or engineered flooring? You are right with the cushion already on the flooring, you won't need additional, and the linoleum, if it is in good shape should provide a barrier, although, ideally, you would want to remove it to match the height of the other flooring, as I am sure it is thicker than the blue, maybe not.

Old 11-15-13, 12:44 PM
It's not engineered. It's called Golden Teak Handscraped Laminate. We will lay a couple of pieces down first to check the thickness issue. If the linoleum is to thick we will just have to pull it up. And we are doing tile in the bathrooms since that's usually the wettest room, just to be on the safer side. As for the kitchen, we are putting a sealer down once the floor is installed.

Old 11-15-13, 12:56 PM
We are doing tile in the bathrooms since that usually the wettest room. But as for the kitchen, we are putting a sealer down once the floor is installed. There are sealers for laminate floors and it also depends on what type of laminate you purchase.

Old 11-15-13, 03:34 PM
Not sure what "sealer" you are referring to. Is it approved by the flooring manufacturer? You don't want to void any warranty. I have not heard of sealing laminate flooring, since it moves so much. It will be the cracks moreso than the face of the laminate that will give problems with moisture.