Name:  IMG_1071.jpg
Views: 1558
Size:  41.2 KBName:  IMG_1072.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  30.4 KBName:  IMG_1073.jpg
Views: 733
Size:  35.1 KB

Howdy,

I removed some plywood subflooring that had water damage. This is what I discovered underneath. It appears to be pine planks, about 15 ft long 8 inch wide. I had considered refinishing it but I do not think I will anymore. The is a very cold chill that comes from underneath the flooring and the gaps are fairly wide. Underneath the planks is a cement from the ceiling of the basement, old stone dwelling, which is likely the cause of the cold draft.

My question. What do you think a floor like this would look like refinished? It has marks from hammers and some of the wood has split over the years it has been there. If I decide to refinish would there be a way to prevent the cold draft? Perhaps some type of foam insulation I could spray under?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-13, 02:04 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
That useless as a floor that gets walked on.

Old 11-16-13, 02:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Basically what you have is the subflooring. Another layer of plywood, Advantech, etc would go on top of that, then you would install a finished floor. That lumber is probably yellow pine and not good for refinishing, as you have seen with the air movement. It wasn't made for finishing, only to hold the joists in position so another layer could be put on.