Sub floor over asbestos tile for Pergo flooring question

Old 11-17-13, 01:04 PM
Sub floor over asbestos tile for Pergo flooring question

I have a sun room that was carpeted when we moved in. We decided we wanted something affordable that matched our hardwood in the other rooms. We found some Pergo flooring that matches perfectly.

When I ripped up the carpet, we found out that our Sun room was once an outdoor porch that had be enclosed. The flooring underneath the carpet was asbestos tile that is curling. It's not curling too bad though. I talked to a friend and he said I should just put a subfloor on top of it to cover it up and lay the pergo down on the subfloor. It made sense because the sunroom is probably 2-3 inches lower than the room that attaches to it.

My questions are:

1) Should I just put plywood down on top of the asbestos?
1a) What thickness should I use? Would 1/4 inch work or is that too flimsy?

2) If I put plywood down, would I need to put anything between the plywood and the pergo?

Note: The Pergo has the foam backing already attached to each piece.

Any help is appreciated. I'm a noob!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-13, 05:06 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! Does the sunroom have a concrete floor? Laying a subfloor directly on concrete, or on the tile won't be a good idea moisture wise. 1/4" is too flimsy for almost anything but linoleum. Your concern is what happens between the concrete and the plywood, more so than between the plywood and pergo. Nothing between your eventual subfloor and Pergo, since the padding is attached, except for possibly a vapor barrier, unless the padding is considered a vb by the manufacturer.

Old 11-24-13, 04:03 PM
It's actually off grade. The first layer is the original outdoor tongue and groove wood floor. Then there is an old asbestos tile floor that is cracking etc.