Condo: Installing Laminate over tile and concrete

Old 11-17-13, 07:42 PM
Question Condo: Installing Laminate over tile and concrete

Hi All,

New to the forum and didn't have much luck finding an answer to this. If anyone has any advise, I would greatly appreciate it.

So we want to install new laminate flooring in our living and kitchen area. We want to do this to create a seamless look to the floors.

Currently, the kitchen is tiled and the living space is carpeted over a concrete subfloor (condo). Our contractor suggested that we kept the tile and just place the new flooring on top. For the change in height between the tile and concrete (where the carpet use to be), he suggested to level it off by laying concrete about 2' out to smoothen out the height difference (about 3/8").

I don't know if this would be the right way to do it or if there would be any problems after installing? The last thing I want is to have the floors come apart or make a ton of noise. Otherwise, I know it is probably better to just remove the tile altogether to have a more leveled floor.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-13, 08:17 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! The last thing you want in a kitchen is laminate flooring. If you already have tile, why not leave it and install 5/8" click lock engineered flooring in the living area?

Old 11-17-13, 08:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Laminate should never be put in wet areas. Also, are you sure you have concrete floors? They probably are gypcrete.

Old 11-17-13, 08:59 PM
Thanks for the quick replies! I know laminate is not the best idea in a kitchen but we're really aiming for this open concept idea and having laminate all the way through is our cheapest best looking strategy. We plan to be super careful with the kitchen and appreciate the advice on not using it there. The tile that is currently in the kitchen does not follow how out new kitchen layout is planned out. Previous kitchen was closed off from the rest of the of living space and we have removed the partition walla previously there.

Not sure if it's "gypcrete" or not, does that make a difference?

Old 11-18-13, 06:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Concrete won't stick to gypcrete.

Old 11-18-13, 12:22 PM
If we found a compound that will stick to gypcrete or concrete, will laying down that compound to create a transition between the tile and subfloor be ok?

Old 11-18-13, 06:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
laminate all the way through is our cheapest best looking strategy
Cheap is never a winning strategy, go with durable, will be cheaper in the long run.

We plan to be super careful with the kitchen
No one I know or have serviced planned for the dishwasher to leak or the disposer to overflow or the refrigerator ice supply line to bust, but I have repaired them all, you need to be realistic, not optimistic. Laminate flooring in a potential wet area will fail with the slightest influx of moisture. Save your pennies, look for sales and upgrade to an engineered real wood floor. Waiting a little longer to afford the correct floor will not be the end of the world.