laminate flooring & door sill

Old 11-29-13, 02:08 PM
Question laminate flooring & door sill

I am replacing the ft Entry Door, with a prehung unit with the door sill attatched.
I am also replacing the laminate flooring in the room also.
my Question is
Should I put the door in 1st, with the door sill on the concrete slab, & use a filler strip to Try & hide the 1/4" gap between the door sill & the flooring ?

or possibly Shim the door assy up 3/8" or so, to allow the 5/16" laminate to slide up under the sill, enough to hide the gap ?

or possibly I could "notch" the inside bottom edge of the sill say 3/8 x 3/8" to allow the laminate to go up under the sill & still put the sill directly on the concrete ?

thanks
Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-13, 02:27 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Door goes in first.
Unless you have done a moisture test and it's past laminate should not be installed.
Going to at least going to need some form of vapor barrier.
Laminate on a slab is bad or any place there's the potential of moisture it's going to fail.

Old 11-29-13, 05:19 PM
There has been 'laminate' in place for the past 15 years, with no problems.
I am just replacing it

Old 11-30-13, 06:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Which direction is the laminate going to hit the door, along its end cut or side cut. For the most part, the door will and should be installed first and set to operate at its greatest efficiency. You then work the floor up to the door taking into account all variables about the floor layout. If the door is in a small vestibule of say 3' x 3', I would worry less about the expansion and contraction as movement will be minimal over the short distance. You can hide a smaller gap under shoe molding and be OK. A larger gap can be hidden under shoe that is put down on its long side. Medium side areas where the door hits on the end cuts can be handled with a smaller than normal gap at the door covered with shoe and a generous gap on the opposite end where you have undercut both the shoe and the baseboard. Longest runs can be handles with a reducer (laminate to vinyl) that overlaps the laminate on the room side and butts up against the door on the fatter side of the molding. This would give the recommended gaps as the floor could move freely under the molding.

Old 11-30-13, 08:54 AM
OK,
Thanks for the info !
So I guess I'll go ahead & install the door 1st