Want to install new hardwood

Old 12-02-13, 05:36 PM
Want to install new hardwood

I recently purchased a remodeled home and the floor is the only part of the house which I HATE.

The floor is a nice looking floor but it was installed a REAL amateur. There are a bunch of gaps in the floor, around the stairs the floor was cut like a jigsaw puzzle and placed around the bottom step because they couldn't make curved cuts. Also they did laid the flooring down to the sill going into the bathrooms and the wood just jumps up and down. It goes on and on and I just want to rip it out and start from scratch.

I believe this is the current floor that is installed:
Shop Natural Floors by USFloors Exotic 5-3/8-in W x 37-3/4-in L Bamboo Locking Hardwood Flooring at Lowes.com

I like the wide plank and dark wood color and would like to keep a similar look but the current hardwood scratches EXTREMELY easily. I would need something more durable.

The problem is is that I am on a slab and I know I cant install all types of hardwood on a slab. Parts of the slab need to be leveled off because there are a bunch of dips in the floor. As far as installing new hardwood would it be possible to lay down 1/2" or 3/4" plywood then on top of that lay down new 3/4" hardwood?

What would be the best approach to replace my current hardwood? It is an open floor plan with living room, dining room, kitchen and hallway to bedrooms and bathroom. The only thing that would pose a problem with raising the floor would be the kitchen cabinets.

If I go the route of adding plywood, can I use any type of hardwood? Also, where is a good place to get hardwood besides lowes or home depot?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-13, 07:32 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Plywood should not be used over a slab floor.
Most engineered flooring can be install as a floating floor with a vapor barrier.