Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Damaged Parquet Flooring

12-09-13, 11:30 AM   #1  
Damaged Parquet Flooring

Last night I had some people in delivering and installing a dishwasher in my kitchen with parquet floors. After they left, the floor was lifting like crazy (I've attached photos)
What did they do!?! To my knowledge (I was home most of the time) it didn't get terribly wet. The flooring is old and was improperly installed. The edge of the flooring goes just barely under the dishwasher and fridge - not to the wall..

I'm wondering what can be done and maybe what could have happened!!???!!!

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

VA

12-09-13, 11:34 AM   #2  
It would take a ton of water to make it do that.
Sure it's not still leaking?
Time for a new floor.

12-09-13, 11:44 AM   #3  
There is no water there now... and under the edge tiles is totally dry... so it's unlikely water damage then? What else could have done this?

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

12-09-13, 01:03 PM   #4  
It looks like water caused it to me also. You might try wetting some weight on it to see if it will lay back down ...... maybe tack it down if it lays down ok.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

VA

12-09-13, 01:06 PM   #5  
Hard to say, no one here saw just how bad it was before.
Even if someone nailed it to the floor so it could not expend it would not have happened over night.
Only thing I've seen cause this is water, moisture coming up through the slab, and installing to tight to the wall.

Forum Topic Moderator

VA

12-09-13, 01:14 PM   #6  
There are several points in the installation/replacement of a dishwasher when water can be released onto your floor. First is if the wrong shut off under the sink was closed and they attempted to disconnect the hose under the dishwasher, a spray of water would have caused them to scramble. Second, when disconnecting the drain, residual water could have been released. Third, when moving the unit itself, residual water could have splashed out of the drain tube or filter basket. Lastly, if the shut off valve did not hold or close properly, a steady drip of water would have occurred while they were preparing the new unit for installation.

Whichever happened, you got water into and under your flooring and it has expanded. They could easily have wiped the edges with a towel so it would appear dry. I would waste no time contacting the installing company and share the pictures and demand a repair. There is little other logical explanation other than water for the results your floor is demonstrating.

Search this Thread