Aluminum oxide vs standard Poly finish for Red Oak ?

Old 12-09-13, 11:47 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Aluminum oxide vs standard Poly finish for Red Oak ?

Hi Everyone,

We recently bought 1500 sqft of Bellawood pre-finished (natural) red oak flooring which i'm very happy with.

However, now I have to figure out what to do with all of the unfinished red oak stair treads that we bought as well. The salesman at lumber liquidators was telling us that the best thing would be to use the same Aluminum Oxide based finish that is used by Bellawood (for both look and durability) but since we're in California where A-Oxide is banned, we would only be able to buy standard poly finish.

Was curious what you all thought about this? My wife and I were planning on making a trip to Nevada at the end of the month for a little vaca so there is a possibility that I could buy it there. Wondering if you guys think it's worth it.

Old 12-09-13, 12:58 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 839 Upvotes on 736 Posts
I don't know much about the aluminum oxide finishes and haven't heard of anyone using them on a jobsite. I've almost always used oil base poly on the stairs. I usually [retired now] finish the stair cases on new homes as a favor for the builder and his floor guy would do the rest. I've never had any problems getting my stain/poly finish to match factory finished flooring or site finished floors.

Do you have access to oil base poly? Oil base poly deepens the colors naturally in the wood. If you're stuck using a water based finished you may have to stain the oak to make sure it matches the factory color. Best to test your stain/poly on scraps of red oak.

Old 07-19-14, 11:46 AM
P
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question California aluminum oxide ban?

Hello! I see in a post above someone makes mention of a California ban on aluminum oxide. This is the first I heard of that and my local public health people including EPA are not familiar with this. Anyone have more info on this? TIA!

Old 07-19-14, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
I haven't seen or heard of anything like the mentioned ban.

Old 07-19-14, 12:42 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 839 Upvotes on 736 Posts
As I mentioned earlier, I've never run across anyone applying an aluminum oxide finish in the field although it is a common finish on prefinished wood.

Old 07-19-14, 12:44 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
The original poster is still active. You may want to send a PM for verification. AOx isn't something that is usually applied in the field, as mentioned. It is applied hot and is run through an oven to bake the finish onto the wood. I concur with Marksr, that applying a good oil based poly to stairtreads is a good finish that will stand up to time. Not as much as AOx, but it is easier to recoat in a few years.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: