Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

best place to start laying floating floor with sound damping

12-09-13, 05:26 PM   #1  
best place to start laying floating floor with sound damping

Hello,

I have installed a few wood floors and they came out good. This is one im not sure on in the condo i just bought. I am laying floor in a large bedroom with two closets that leads to hallway that goes to other room. I ripped the current carpet out and installing this. I am not exactly sure where to start at. Here is a link to pictures of the room. Im thinking i need to start on the window wall and work my way out to the hallway? Let me know.

Bedroom Pictures Photos by dmb2002man | Photobucket

thanks

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

VA

12-09-13, 06:17 PM   #2  
Checked with your HOA to see if they allow laminate? Some will not allow it.
If you insist on laminate your going to need a transition strip at the closet door and the passage door.
I just refuse to use laminate any more on a second floor. Noise and the royal the pain of trying to make a decent looking, nonslip hazard transition at the stairs.

12-09-13, 08:49 PM   #3  
This flooring can be glued, nailed down or float. I have nailed down with wood screws any noise from the flooring and also adding the sound damping with the new floor install. Im replacing wood if needed. Im sure on the stairs i will be replacing some of the wood with new. My hoa allows it as im on the hoa board as secretary.

Forum Topic Moderator

VA

12-10-13, 06:10 AM   #4  
You will need to finish your railing system before you put down the floating floor. Floating floors are then installed up to the bottom piece of the railing system that holds the ballusters and finished with shoe molding. I would start at either wall and plan on at least one transition strip at the threshold of the bedroom door. Float the hallway seperate so you can turn directions if needed to run parallel to the railing system. If you start on a long wall in the bedroom, it can make the transition into the closets easier as you are coming in perpendicular to the closet opening but parallel to the small foyer entry into the bedroom.

Take a good look at the stair nosing that matches your flooring to figure out the hallway. You will glue and screw the nosing down and then begin your floor with a tongue in the groove of the nosing to start. Use a plug cutter to fill the holes cut in the nosing to blend.

12-10-13, 06:30 AM   #5  
czizzi,

Thanks for your response. My rails are metal and not made of wood and screw down to the floor. Also you wouldn't recommend to start on the window wall and work my way to the front of the front of the room. I just finished tiling the bathroom and i started at the front and put the small pieces at the opposite wall and along tub so it doesn't stand out. So you wouldn't make a one transition move from bedroom to hallway? For now im going to hold off on the staircase and do a little more research before i start that.

thanks

Forum Topic Moderator

VA

12-10-13, 06:44 AM   #6  
I'd be inclined to at least put a 1x4 with a nice edge treatment down that is glued and screwed thru the subfloor into the framing and attach the rail system on top of that. You do not want to nail through your floating floor, it needs to float freely so it can "breathe" with the seasons.

So you wouldn't make a one transition move from bedroom to hallway? For now im going to hold off on the staircase and do a little more research before i start that.
You will want to start at your stair nosing so that the T&G are glued and engaged. Near impossible to hit if you start in the bedroom at the windows. Unless of course, you are great at math and confident in your measurements that is...

12-10-13, 09:42 AM   #7  
okay so if i start laying at the stairway should i start the long way across the hallway or against it. Once i do that then stop at the bedroom, add a spacer at door and then start the bedroom? Thanks for the help so far. I just painted the ceiling in that room and walls tomorrow. Then i got granite coming tomorrow for my kitchen and bathroom. I gutted both rooms down to the studs and finally finishing them up. I even cut a tub out and installed new and updated the plumbing. Then added a sub-floor in bathroom and tiled to that since its the wood sub-floor.

12-10-13, 10:31 AM   #8  
Pictures of the rail. I would need bigger than a 1 x 4 as the mount is farther than 1" out as you can see in the picture. Also what kind of piece should the filler be? Should it be similar to the same wood i am laying and can i get it at home depot as that is where i bought my wood.

thanks

Here is the last wood floor that i laid to concrete so i glued it down. Still looking great today after 2 years and brother is very happy with the results.

Last edited by dmb2002man; 12-10-13 at 10:51 AM.

Forum Topic Moderator

VA

12-10-13, 01:53 PM   #9  
Tried to find a couple of pictures to guide you on how to dress out the railing area and help with your floor installation. Several of these pictures have carpet, but you will get the idea.

Name:  100_03cccc.jpg
Views: 612
Size:  31.0 KBName:  100_03cc.jpg
Views: 574
Size:  36.4 KBName:  100_03ccc.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  31.3 KB

12-11-13, 08:43 AM   #10  
sweet and thanks. Im gathering more ideas to it now. Could run a 2" piece on the edge of the floor to the wall and put the rail on top of that. Then just mount the flooring to that like as it was the wall or edge. I think that would do that job. Paint it the same as the wall paint that i am using. Now can you give me a better idea on which way to start? Should i start at bedroom door and do bedroom first? Start at steps and do the hallway to the door then stop add the reducer then go to the bedroom. Im just finishing painting the walls today so next step will be the flooring.

Forum Topic Moderator

VA

12-11-13, 04:24 PM   #11  
Use T-molding at the door threshold and treat both floors as a separate install. As independent floor units, you can start each anyway you like. In the hallway, the stair nosing will be the place to start so that the T&G are fully engaged.

12-12-13, 05:36 AM   #12  
hey thanks so much. So if it were you where would you start in the bedroom at? My friend thinks the front as thats where you walk in first but i think the window or long wall and work your way to the door. I ended up getting my granite installed yesterday and it came out awesome. Now i need to do backsplash in my kitchen to finish it off. Once again thanks for all the suggestions.

Search this Thread