Hardest coating for wood floors

Old 02-26-01, 01:05 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I have 2 dogs with killer nails. What is the toughest coating I can use? I've tried oil based Varathane (Lowe's Home Depot) and the dogs just tear it up.

Help...I have 5000 sq ft of floors to finish!

Lisa

Old 02-27-01, 07:21 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
LisaC,
I understand your problem, I've got a 125 pound Lab. You might want to learn more about Waterlox Gym finish. It is supposed to be a fairly hard finish, but I'm afraid most all of the urathane/poly type finishes will eventually show marks.

[Edited by fewalt on 02-27-01 at 09:45]

Old 02-27-01, 03:34 PM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Have you seen or do you know where Waterlox Gym finish can be purchased? That is exactly what I am looking for!

Old 02-28-01, 07:10 AM
LisaC,
I don't think you'll find Waterlox at the usual 'home centers', but you may. You may have to have a local hardware store order it for you, or you can order direct from Walterlox per their website. Check [url]http://www.waterlox.com I think it said one gallon would cover about 450 sq. ft.

Old 02-28-01, 07:51 AM
Visiting Guest
Smile

Thank you sooooo much!!!

Old 02-28-01, 08:52 AM
Visiting Guest
Just recently refinished all my hardwoods and researched all options in depth. 5000 sqft? Holy____! Reguardless of manufacturer (there are many) "moisture cure" urathane is by far the best/hardest finish--but it is very hard to get for the average joe. Left mainly to the pros--and even then most will not apply to residential homes. The polyurathanes you can buy at Home Depot etc. are marginal but safe. A lower gloss finish will not show scraches as much but are actually not as hard as a high gloss finish. Oil based poly's are better than water based--but dry slower with more odor. I personally do not like the available polyurathanes on floors (actually too hard and brittle and difficult to repair). Lets face it your problems are your dogs not the floor finishes--anything you put down will get beat up by the dogs--anything! I choose McClosky's "Gym Seal" hard to find but available--and no more toxic than any other oil based finish. This stuff is a modified tung oil finish than takes forever to dry and requires at least 3 coats. The more you put on the glosser/ harder it gets. It penetrates and stays flexible with the wood, very scratch resistant, I'm happy with it for the last year. And if you want to repair a scratch you can lightly buff it out or sand and refinish if deep a small area--try that with polyurathane!

Old 02-28-01, 12:12 PM
LiasC,
I agree with most of what Redneck has mentioned.
The little bit of tung oil in the Mcloskeys or Waterlox
simple keeps the finish a little less "brittle" and less
susceptible to any environmental cracking. I disagree somwhat on the glossy finish being harder, they just appear harder. A semi-gloss or satin sheen should be just as hard, it is only the flattening agent(ground silica) which removes the reflectveness. Three or even four coats of the above suggestions should do the trick. However, the dogs'
nails will eventually win again.

Old 02-28-01, 12:43 PM
Visiting Guest
Thanks to both of you. I am going to try a gym seal AND viynl nail caps for the dogs. Maybe both will help. I understand there will be wear, but only one week after I finished the floor and it looks bad?!

And to Redneck, yep 5000 Sq ft. It's an old victorian that has the original floors, we think!

Old 03-04-01, 07:07 PM
Visiting Guest
dear lisa i recently refinished some very old pine floors and we used rexthane which is a commercial grade of polyurthehane. we have some dog traffic and it holds up very well. i believe this is very similar to the gym coating i read about. we put down 3 coats sanding bt coats. drying time was rather fast but the smell is pretty stong. i have been very satisfied with the durability so far. and may do some more floors you can get this a sherwin williams if you have one larry

Old 03-05-01, 08:29 AM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Thanks for the input Larry. I'm looking at any options! I have a number of Sherwin Williams around here so I will check it out!
Lisa

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: