The Dreaded Tile to Hardwood Transition..................

Old 12-12-13, 06:52 AM
The Dreaded Tile to Hardwood Transition..................

Hello all. I am trying to transition my hardwood floor to tile. Here is the challenge: the tile (including mortar) is 7/8" thick. My flooring is 3/4" thick. How can I transition the hardwood to the tile when the hardwood is sitting 1/8" lower? I have considered a reducer but it doesn't make much sense. How can I put them in? I also considered not transition piece and caulking to match the grout between the floor and tile but the tile is not perfectly straight. What about a t-mould, well that would leave a 1/8" gap on the other edge. I have no idea what to do here. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!! Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-13, 07:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You T-molding does not have to sit perfectly flat. The 1/8" will hardly be noticeable.

Old 12-12-13, 07:45 AM
Would I need to seal the gap? Or you think it would sit flush enough just slightly angled?

Old 12-12-13, 08:03 AM
Thanks for the response btw

Old 12-12-13, 09:20 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
On the last two or three runs of flooring, use increased tarpaper strips as steps from "flat" to "1/8 rise". I am assuming you are cleating/stapling down the hardwood. Your hardwood won't notice the difference. Assuming, to, this is a long edge finish.

Old 12-12-13, 09:48 AM
Ok. I have thought about that. Then t mold is clearly the way to go I suppose. I appreciate all of the response. I guess I'll try her out.

Search this Thread