Wear on hardwood

Old 12-12-13, 09:27 AM
Wear on hardwood

I just purchased this home, and there are a couple of trouble spots on the hardwood. Is my best bet to sand down the area, remove all dust... and then?

Pics are not the best, I will not be able to get back in the house for a few days.

Some by the entry

Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-13, 09:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums!

It can be very difficult to just sand and refinish a portion of a floor, it's far better to sand the entire floor/room and refinish the whole floor. That said, you might be able to sand down just that portion [sanding and refinishing full boards] and get it to look better than it currently does.

Old 12-12-13, 09:38 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
That's one job that's worth hiring out, and do it before you move in.
By the time you rent all the equipment, pay for all the supply's, work through the learning curve they could have had the job 1/2 done and it will come out looking better.

Old 12-12-13, 09:45 AM
Its a amount of square footage is why I wanted to avoid doing all of it. The wood goes down that hallway as well. I think the living room is 21 feet long.

@Marksr, are you saying I can try to basically clean it up by just sanding?

Old 12-12-13, 09:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You'd have to sand thru the damage to get to nice clean wood [I'm assuming that's doable] You would then have to replace the finish to try and get it to match the rest - that's the hard part. Even if you use the exact same finish, it's apt to show - that's why it's recommended to do the entire floor. To have any chance of the 'touch up' not showing like a sore thumb you have to finish individual boards, using the joints as a cut off point both for the sanding and refinishing.