Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Refinishing repaired buckled oak slates to a consistant color and flatness.

CAL

12-12-13, 10:33 PM   #1  
Refinishing repaired buckled oak slates to a consistant color and flatness.

50 Year old house has oak slates which became buckled over the years. I had saved some flooring from dining room (which I installed vinyl tile) to repair rest of house. We pulled up buckled flooring and replaced it with unbuckled pieces which turns out to be a different stain. How can we get an even stain on entire floor. Some of the floor is a little different in depth so it is a tad uneven. We didn't want to rent a floor sander. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

12-13-13, 03:33 AM   #2  
pics might be helpful - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

It would be best to sand and refinish the entire floor. You might can tint some poly to alter the coloring on the wrong color pieces. Are the replacement boards lighter or darker?

btw - welcome to the forums!

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

VA

12-13-13, 06:06 AM   #3  
Going to need to sand it down to bare wood to get it level and to stain.

CAL

12-13-13, 10:26 AM   #4  
Sanding oak floors, what kind of sander, plate?

Hi Everyone, Thanks for input and the welcome. I'll try to download pictures tomorrow. I was thinking about sanding to even them out also. I do have a heavy plate sander plus a commercial buffer in storage here. We had sanded floors(and darken them) in 1974 after I bought the place but there is some waves, difficult to do even though I had a clever boyfriend at the time. Now it's just me and a worker doing this. Fortunately, it's a small house. It looks like the saved slats are a bit darker. We solved the buckling, cupping issue by installing a large french drain on the side of the house (we are in a creek area below two hills.) Hopefully they won't continue to buckle. We completed one of the bedrooms and were going to practice in there with the color, and now maybe with the sanding also. Thanks!

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

12-13-13, 01:26 PM   #5  
Since the replacement boards are darker, tinting the poly won't help.
Why is the water on the exterior affecting the hardwood? is it on a slab?

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

CAL

12-13-13, 08:25 PM   #6  
water under house affecting flooring.

I saw a couple of feet deep of water standing under the house, never noticed before, so I did a french drain on the side of the house which faces street, 5 years ago. Actually, since 1993, there are now nine separate french drains on this property. I lowered the water table from 18 inches. It could still flood, when town gets under four feet, but barring that, we are nice and dry. Hope that took care of the buckling oak floor. I'm going to try sanding myself to see the outcome. I have a heavy sander about 3 inches by 6 inches, so going but I'll have my nose down there to inspect it every second. Will try to post pictures tomorrow. Thanks!

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

VA

12-14-13, 06:19 AM   #7  
Did you install a vapor barrier on the ground under the house?
Is there tar paper or rosin paper under the wood flooring?
Wooden floors and moisture do not play well together and will cause it to cup at a minimum.

Search this Thread