Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

How to fill these gaps?

CANADA

12-13-13, 03:38 PM   #1  
How to fill these gaps?

Good day

I was wondering if someone could recommend a solution to fill these gaps.

It doesn't need to be an elegant solution, but anything to make it look better than how it does now.

Name:  20131213_183337.jpg
Views: 2320
Size:  27.5 KB

Sponsored Links

CAL

12-13-13, 04:35 PM   #2  
Looks like laminate flooring and they just need to be pushed back together. I have seen some people put a small amount of wood glue between the joints prior to pushing them back together to keep them from coming apart.

Forum Topic Moderator

VA

12-13-13, 04:52 PM   #3  
There is nothing that I know of that you can "fill" this with. It is an installation error that can be repaired by peeling back the flooring and installing it correctly. Providing of course it is laminate and not Vinyl tile.....Which type of flooring is it?

CANADA

12-13-13, 05:54 PM   #4  
thank you for the replies, to be honest I'm not sure which one it is (sorry I'm a complete newbie), but here's another picture of scratches which may indicate the type of floor?

i like the idea about pushing the pieces together, would I need special tools for that, how is that normally done?

Name:  20131213_183416.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  30.4 KB

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

12-13-13, 07:01 PM   #5  
Oh, it's laminate. About the only way would be to pull the molding at the ends of the runs and use a tapping tool that you can get from box stores. Looks like a flat bar with each end stuck up the opposite direction.

VA

12-13-13, 08:05 PM   #6  
Who installed this floor?
One of two things had to have happened.
It was just installed wrong, or some things stopping the floor from being able to float.
If someone glued it to the floor, nailed the 1/4 rd. through the flooring, it's going to pull apart.
You'll need one of these, laminate flooring tools pull bar - Bing Images
Highly unlikely your going to be able to pull a whole row together like that.
Most likely It's all got to come out and be reinstalled. Good time to replace those chipped and scratched pieces.

Forum Topic Moderator

VA

12-14-13, 06:29 AM   #7  
I'm still leaning toward a vinyl click and float floor. The exposed ends are a dark grey and the scratched areas are showing a dark grey under the finished topcoat. Those colors are not consistent with any laminate floor I have seen. Using a pry bar or tapping bar will do nothing as it may not be strong or stiff enough to push. Also, the ends were spaced to close to the adjacent end which is probably why they all moved together. Probably agree that one side is nailed at the shoe, the floor expands but only in one direction and does not completely come back, thus a separation at a weak link.

Laminate Vinyl Tile of Click System - China Laminate Vinyl Tile

GA

12-14-13, 07:52 AM   #8  
Z you may be right (as usual) as it looks more like Allure on the ends doesn't it. In which case don't bother investing in the tool we mentioned. How long before you plan a total redo, or is that in the foreseeable future?

CANADA

12-14-13, 03:17 PM   #9  
thank you very much for the replies! unfortunately I can't plan a redo because I'm renting out. Thank you for mentioning the tool and even providing the links. Really appreciate your time everyone!

GA

12-15-13, 06:26 AM   #10  
Go to your other thread. I think replacing these as well would be in the offing, too. You have determined them to be sticky tab Allure type flooring, right?

CANADA

12-15-13, 01:34 PM   #11  
yes that's correct, thank you for the tips once again I guess I'll just replace the pieces

Search this Thread