Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

refastening hardwoods that popped up

GA

12-14-13, 06:48 AM   #1  
refastening hardwoods that popped up

Hi. We have a solid oak hardwood floor that was installed roughly six years ago. For whatever reason, this summer two strips of hardwoods popped up to form a ridge between the two strips. This occurred at the entrance to our dining room. After looking closer at it, I believe the two strips are the starting strip for the whole floor, and a "change of direction" strip due to entering the dining room.

Now that summer has passed and the weather has cooled, the ridge has receded considerably. At its worst, it was high enough that it was visible to the eye. Now you only notice it when you step on it and what is left of the ridge compresses down.

I want to press these strips down flat, as best I can, and refasten them to the subfloor to prevent it from popping up again. Any recommendations on how I should do this? I was thinking of nailing standard finishing nails by hand into both strips (only the starting strip was face nailed before) after drilling pilot holes. I'd slightly angle the nails in opposite directions instead of all straight down.

I do have a finish nailer, but it just seems like doing it by hand would be more secure. Regardless of finish nailer or hand nailing, what size/type nails would do the job properly?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

12-14-13, 07:42 AM   #2  
It does sound as if it were a reversing spline position that the installer failed to nail/staple. The problem with nailing it down now, will be the advent of spring when it will do it all over again. If you want to try it, i would use #8 finish nails set at an angle, then countersunk. Now for a permanent fix, you may be destined to remove both rows and replace them with shaved planks that I am sure you have as spares

Forum Topic Moderator

VA

12-14-13, 10:39 AM   #3  
Two suggestions, One easier, one harder.

Pre-drill and use finish head screws set at an angle and putty the holes.

Stainless steel square drive trim head finishing screws at Manasquan Premium Fasteners, Brick, NJ. In stock. Order online or walk-in.

2nd would be to do some higher math, figure out where the offending boards are located, and screw down from underneath which would pull it back to flat.

I guess a 3rd would be to drill, countersink and plug the hole - provided you can pull plugs from either a spare board or take plugs from under the base molding and shoe molding and cover up when done.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

VA

12-14-13, 02:01 PM   #4  
No vapor barrier on the ground if there's a crawl space.
No vapor barrier under the flooring.
Not enough fasteners in the flooring.
Installed to tight to the walls.
All reasons for this to happen.

Search this Thread