Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

How to remove or cut in place these laminate floor boards to fill a hole?

CT

12-16-13, 09:41 AM   #1  
How to remove or cut in place these laminate floor boards to fill a hole?

Hello,
In our kitchen there was a corner cabinet that we removed to put a door into the garage. Laminate floor was installed up to this cabinet and when removed there is a large triangle down to the subfloor since the cabinet was installed with the house in the 1950s. I have attached two photos showing the hole and how its attached near the wall.

I luckily have a box of the flooring that was left with the house that I can use to fill the gap but I need to figure out how to get it in place.

My first thought was to pull the boards out and then cut them with my miter saw and then just fill in the gaps, seems easy enough. The issue is that the end board must have been the first laid because it is cut right against a pipe under the heater with no room to push it out to pull it up and disconnect it from the board next to it. So it looks like pulling the boards out and cutting them isn't an option unless someone has a suggestion of how to do it.

The second thought I had was to use a circular saw and cut a 90 angle on just the three boards that form the triangle and lay new pieces next to them and fill the gap. The issue with this is that the board is against the wall so the circular saw won't cut all the way to the wall with the base of the saw protruding and also I am not sure how I can be certain I'd be making a perfect 90degree cut that would match any cuts from the new laminate coming from the miter saw.

Does anyone have any ideas on how they would go about filling up the triangle with the laminate boards?

Thanks

Attached Images

Last edited by npjohnson; 12-16-13 at 10:38 AM.

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

VA

12-16-13, 10:59 AM   #2  
Sorry the floor has to come out to do this. Laminate can not just be patched in place.
There was suppose to be a gap around all the outside edges so cutting the flooring even with the sheetrock so you can get it out is not going to do any harm.

GA

12-16-13, 11:05 AM   #3  
I know it sounds drastic, but matching laminate will be difficult at best. If it were mine, I would cut the laminate from the wall, across grain to about 4" past your door opening, removing the pieces.install 1/4" hardiebacker and tile it all. After all it is to the garage and you could use a dirt buffer between the rooms. Just an idea.

CT

12-16-13, 11:37 AM   #4  
So you can't cut a piece of laminate out in place (lets say you had a damaged board in the middle of a floor) and cut one to size, cut off the edges and glue in place? Just making sure. If so I may have to have a pro come in and do it, much to my dismay.

chandler, I actually have a box of replacement laminate flooring that matches. I got lucky and found it in the basement. It is only 1 box though so no room for mistakes.

GA

12-16-13, 12:11 PM   #5  
No, laminate can't be cut out like hardwood flooring and replaced. Generally it is like a puzzle with interlocking parts, and the deeper you go the more you have to remove. You were lucky to have the replacements, but they have to be removed in whole lengths.

Forum Topic Moderator

VA

12-16-13, 03:27 PM   #6  
I luckily have a box of the flooring that was left with the house
This is key and super news. You do not patch the hole with laminate. You replace and any pieces involved need to be removed and replaced with full boards. So, worry not about getting the cut boards out cleanly, you can hack away at them. Just don't disturb the tongue and groove system. Then, you will have to get fancy and piece it all back together with new full pieces. The first row or two should not be too much of a problem. but the last ones will be a bear. You will probably have to trim the tongue to remove the ridge on it. Then with some glue, slide the final pieces together and secure until the glue sets up.

I like Larry's idea of a tile buffer.

Search this Thread