Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Bleaching Oak Floor

NY

12-17-13, 12:28 PM   #1  
Bleaching Oak Floor

With the price of Oak flooring going up, I decided to buy used Oak flooring from a building demo company. All in all, it was good idea, I got 9', 10' even 12' lengths of flooring at $1.5 per sq foot. It took a little extra time to sand, but came out OK. My only problem is that some of the flooring is really dark, only 2 or 3 pieces, but they really look out of place. Has anybody ever put bleach on an oak floor and if so what were the results?

Sponsored Links

NY

12-24-13, 10:10 AM   #2  
Just to follow up, if anybody ever tries it, here is what happened. I used a 20% solution of bleach on some 2 1/4" oak flooring. The flooring was at least 40 years old and had darkened considerably. I used a qtip to apply. After 3 successive coats over the course of an hour the wood had lightened up enough so as to not look out of place. After a light sanding(220 grit) it was ready for the poly. One of the sections I did was a stain in the wood. I kind of feathered out the bleach on the stain, applying more bleach to the darker parts of the stain. After 2 coats of a high gloss poly, you can still see a stain in the wood, although it is not nearly as bad as before.
Good luck everyone

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

12-24-13, 10:54 AM   #3  
thanks for the update ..... I guess you were the ginny pig

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Search this Thread