Bleaching Oak Floor

Old 12-17-13, 01:28 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Bleaching Oak Floor

With the price of Oak flooring going up, I decided to buy used Oak flooring from a building demo company. All in all, it was good idea, I got 9', 10' even 12' lengths of flooring at $1.5 per sq foot. It took a little extra time to sand, but came out OK. My only problem is that some of the flooring is really dark, only 2 or 3 pieces, but they really look out of place. Has anybody ever put bleach on an oak floor and if so what were the results?

Old 12-24-13, 11:10 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Just to follow up, if anybody ever tries it, here is what happened. I used a 20% solution of bleach on some 2 1/4" oak flooring. The flooring was at least 40 years old and had darkened considerably. I used a qtip to apply. After 3 successive coats over the course of an hour the wood had lightened up enough so as to not look out of place. After a light sanding(220 grit) it was ready for the poly. One of the sections I did was a stain in the wood. I kind of feathered out the bleach on the stain, applying more bleach to the darker parts of the stain. After 2 coats of a high gloss poly, you can still see a stain in the wood, although it is not nearly as bad as before.
Good luck everyone

Old 12-24-13, 11:54 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 824 Upvotes on 722 Posts
thanks for the update ..... I guess you were the ginny pig

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: