Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Removed tile to put floating laminate - question about leveling

CAL

12-22-13, 09:56 PM   #1  
Removed tile to put floating laminate - question about leveling

Hi all,

I had a small area of tile, about 4' x 4', by the front door. I've removed it and the surrounding floor to place laminate floating floor. The sub floor is a concrete slab. My question is regarding the thin set that was under the tile. It was well done job and grand old time to remove. I primarily used a reciprocating saw and scraper blades and finished with hammer and chisel. Its pretty cleaned up but I wouldnt say 100% level. How cleaned up does it need to be with this type flooring? I am familiar with laying tile and would definitely work it more if that is what I was installing, but I have no experience with the click together floating stuff.

I was thinking of getting a grinder and masonry disc or something to try and clean up the remainder but I also dont want to waste my time, back, or tools if I dont have too I can take a picture if it would help clarify but was hoping for some general advice on the topic.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

12-23-13, 03:10 AM   #2  
Welcome to the forums! Is there a good reason you removed tile to replace it with a product that, when wet, will become unstable? How are you going to handle the 1/2" expansion at the edges? I am assuming this is at an entrance door, where wet boots will take their toll.

To answer your question, it needs to be pretty flat in order to install a floating floor. IMO, you will be better off with maybe a different color of tile.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

VA

12-23-13, 05:42 AM   #3  
I totally agree.
Now there's going to a trip hazard where you have to use transition strips.
Going to need a pad under it with a vapor barrier.
Going to need a hammer drill to be able to install the anchors to hold the transition strips in places and ideally a compound miter saw to cut the strips at a 45.
Laminate will span small holes but can not be laid over high spots.

CAL

12-23-13, 09:34 AM   #4  
Welcome to the forums! Is there a good reason you removed tile to replace it with a product that, when wet, will become unstable? How are you going to handle the 1/2" expansion at the edges? I am assuming this is at an entrance door, where wet boots will take their toll.

To answer your question, it needs to be pretty flat in order to install a floating floor. IMO, you will be better off with maybe a different color of tile.
Hi, and thank you for the welcome and reply. The tile was a small patch and the wife is dead set on laminate for this room. Trust me, try as I might she won't consider hard wood. The existing tile would have looked horrible as it was a small patch in front of the door and would have been surrounded by laminate. We have a mud room area out front, so wet boots aren't too much of a concern. The real danger is from the 1 and 3 yr olds running around with cups of milk Also it was pretty low quality in my opinion, not thru body and had a few small chips already. I will be putting tile in the living room and kitchen area but there is no tile there to get up.

I totally agree.
Now there's going to a trip hazard where you have to use transition strips.
Going to need a pad under it with a vapor barrier.
Going to need a hammer drill to be able to install the anchors to hold the transition strips in places and ideally a compound miter saw to cut the strips at a 45.
Laminate will span small holes but can not be laid over high spots.

Ok so it sounds like I am best off grinding any high spots down. Pretty sure I got rid of any bumps that were close to 1/16" but Ill go over it with a grinder to be sure. Any tips on how to ensure I get a good flat result? Or to verify the subfloor is good to go. I was planning just using my small level all over but that doesn't seem like the most reliable way. It seems good to me, but I still need to vacuum up and clear everything out to get a better view.

Thanks, and I appreciate your help.

Last edited by echosummet; 12-23-13 at 09:36 AM. Reason: grammar and spelling

Search this Thread