Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Pet Stained Wood Floors from 1938 - need a solution or some ideas!

FL

12-26-13, 08:23 AM   #1  
Pet Stained Wood Floors from 1938 - need a solution or some ideas!

Hi All, I found some thick, great looking hardwood floors. I had them refinished and the contractor said they were badly urine-stained in many spots. See picture showing one spot... there are other more central spots that are this dark.

The finished urine-stained sections look dark. It doesn't look bad, it's just dark.

I need some ideas as to what I can do to blend the rest of the floor. I was thinking of grabbing some darker stain to blend... And give it a very rustic, antique look but I can't find instructions on how to do this.

Any insight or ideas would be great! Thanks!Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 505
Size:  29.2 KB

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

12-26-13, 09:12 AM   #2  
Welcome to the forums!

You can't apply stain over poly. Really if anything was to be done - it should have been done prior to staining or applying any poly! I suspect once you bring in your furniture and maybe a throw rug or two, the 'stains' won't be all that noticeable.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

FL

12-26-13, 09:56 AM   #3  
I realize that, assuming a sanded off the poly. Is there anything else that can be done?

NV

12-26-13, 10:11 AM   #4  
Sad but true

I'm afraid I will agree with marksr as before. Very tedious process and cannot be rushed. Even after it is all sanded off you will still have the corner at a slightly different sheen of color unless you bleached the wood.
Going to a dark, almost black stain, will blend well if it is acceptable.

FL

12-26-13, 10:15 AM   #5  
Will the bleaching work? I've heard mixed reviews.

NV

12-26-13, 10:32 AM   #6  
Bleaching

It's not as easy as mixing up some clorox with water and washing it off but will solve the removal of urine in the wood. The reason most would disagree about the bleaching is because if sorta eats the wood a bit & softens the wood. Still it will hold up the test of time even in a well trafficked area like the front door entry.
Prepare yourself for plenty of curing time between sanding, bleaching, staining, and finish if you're looking that way.

NV

12-26-13, 10:47 AM   #7  
Bleaching continued

May have forgot to let you know. After bleaching the original source continue to include the entire floor so it will prepare the wood to accept a continuity in the re-staining. I have masked of with tape even a little as one board replaced but the blending is something that never seems to come out the same, only close.

Search this Thread