1/4" raise in kitchen subfloor vs living room - what to do

Old 01-03-14, 05:44 PM
1/4" raise in kitchen subfloor vs living room - what to do

Ok so getting ready to put down "luxury vinyl planks" using the glue down method ontop of the subfloor throughout the upstairs. For some reason in the kitchen they used about a 1/4" thicker subfloor so going into the kitchen there is a 1/4" raise and again coming out to the hallway there is a 1/4" drop back down to the hallway. I would like to avoid using a reducer if possible, is there a product I can use to build a small "ramp" and sand it down to transition the two areas? or would this not be a good idea? any other ideas would be great - short of adding more subfloor everywhere else!

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-14, 03:53 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
100 % sure there's not just a dado the glass is sitting in so the glass can float?
Same way door wooden panels are built.

Old 01-04-14, 07:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Luxury vinyl planks need a super flat and super smooth surface. Most likely the kitchen previously had linoleum or something and in is common to install underlayment grade 1/4" plywood to achieve the smooth surface desired. Without a smooth surface, any and all imperfections in the subfloor will show through on the topside of the vinyl over time. Proper installation of a glue down should be on top of 1/4" underlayment ply. So adding it to the balance of the space to raise it up will take care of your bump.

.....not sure who Joe was replying too, but me thinks it was another thread.....