Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

pergo over linoleum

NJ

01-06-14, 10:08 AM   #1  
pergo over linoleum

My kitchen and dining room are essentially a large room with a couple of privacy walls. My kitchen has linoleum and the dining room has carpet. I want to remove the carpet and install pergo over both areas so they have the same flooring. I know I can put pergo over the linoleum but my question pertains to the height difference of the 2 floors. The linoleum has a 1/4" underlayment and I dont want to remove it. Id like to remove the carpet/padding/tack strips and install 5/16" plywood over the dining room so both floors are the same height. Since the pergo floats I didnt think this would be a bad idea. The total flooring is 300sq ft, the area I will have to put the plywood down on is 160sq ft. Is it worth it to put the plywood down as opposed to cutting out all the linoleum? Thanks for your input

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

VA

01-06-14, 04:01 PM   #2  
You failed to mention the size of the opening between the two spaces. In theory, these two areas always have had different heights - one with linoleum and one with carpet. If your goal is to have a contiguous space then you either have to remove or add. Your choice as to which you would prefer to tackle. Only one involves additional material to be purchased BTW. But another option is that you maintain the difference and install a transition strip to bridge the gap at the height change and it should be no different than the two different floors you have now.

NJ

01-06-14, 04:22 PM   #3  
I thought there was a 1/4" underlayment but today when I removed the carpet I saw they glued the linoleum directly to the subfloor. The subfloor of the 2 rooms is the same height, but the linoleum raises the kitchen floor slightly. My new plan is to double up on my vapor barrior in the room without linoleum to match it up even with the linoleum floor then lay the pergo over the 2 rooms

Forum Topic Moderator

VA

01-06-14, 05:18 PM   #4  
You can not just double up on the underlayment for a pergo click and go system. They are not designed to have that thick of a pad that provides that much movement. You will stress the joints between the individual pieces and the result will be failure of the floor system.

Part of the reason contractors get a bad rap for charging so much is that to correctly install some flooring, hard work is involved. The correct way to proceed is to remove the linoleum. Not a pleasant task, but a necessary step to ensure a quality install.

Search this Thread