Flooring project - new at this. Looking for basics, then in depth

Old 01-07-14, 08:53 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Flooring project - new at this. Looking for basics, then in depth

Subject pretty much says it all. I have never laid flooring and am contemplating doing it. We are looking at lumber liquidators 12MM African Mahogany as a serious contender.

I have baseboard hot water heating and carpet now. I can feel and visibly see where under the carpet the wood floor was not extended to the wall. Roughly a half inch, maybe more. It looks as though under the heating element was purposely left lower than the rest of the floor. I am not sure how I would deal with this laying down laminate.?

Has anyone laid down this exact material? Recommendations for particular brands to stay away from or gravitate toward?

Thanks.

Old 01-07-14, 01:58 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
You can cantilever your floating floor over that area as there never will be any pressure to step underneath a baseboard heater coil. You can also get a quick set cement patching compound and trowel it into the void and level it out with the rest of the wood floor.

LLiquidators is a big outfit, but like any item, I would read reviews on that flooring and see what others say about it that have already installed it in their house. Around here, your recommendations from the pros would be to encourage you to look to the next step up which is engineered flooring. It is superior to laminate not to mention real wood.

Old 01-07-14, 02:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 37 Upvotes on 31 Posts
LL does not have a great reputation for customer service. And as mentioned, engineered is a much better product from all suppliers.

Old 01-07-14, 03:53 PM
R
Received 67 Upvotes on 52 Posts
I agree, Laminate is best left at the store.

Old 01-08-14, 08:26 AM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the basic ideas. Some basic info here from me. Flooring will be in a house that has two people and may have a medium sized dog here soon. Not heavy traffic, not much abuse. I may spill the occassional glass of wine on it. I wonder what are the reasons to go with engineered instead of laminate? Is one easier to install for the DIYer or about the same? Thanks again!

Old 01-08-14, 08:35 AM
R
Received 67 Upvotes on 52 Posts
There was new laminate in our house when we bought it. We also have a med size dog, 2 people and not a lot of traffic. ANYTHING spilled on it or even damp moping it will cause it to lift along edges. Dogs will scratch it up pretty badly in short order even if you keep their nails cut. For us it was just a poor product and simply not worth having. We removed it within a year and went to carpet and have never been sorry to see it go!

Old 01-08-14, 02:15 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
It really depends on the laminate. I have a Wilsonart product I had installed about ten years ago and it hasn't curled up nor does it show any scratches. It runs right up to my patio doors and I have cats that are constantly doing the in and out routine, including tracking in a lot of rainwater. They do the running around and skidding just as a dog will. I damp mop this floor with absolutely no damage.

BUT, while this is a "floating" floor each and every piece is glued to its neighbor. It was a high-end product at the time and the installed cost was in the same price range as conventional oak with site-finishing.

Much of the laminate today is nothing more than cardboard that (hopefully) clicks together and lasts long enough for the installer to make a hasty exit. It is CHEAP and it looks and wears in a manner appropriate to the price. Spend a little more for the engineered hardwood and reap the benefits for long after you get tired of it.

Old 01-08-14, 02:58 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Laminate is largely MDF with a picture of wood on it and coatings of aluminum oxide. Engineered flooring is plies of real wood as well as a substantial final layer with a (usually) 50 year wear warranty. Unlike MDF it is less affected by occasional spills.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: