Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Hump in middle of kitchen

CAL

01-08-14, 04:10 PM   #1  
Hump in middle of kitchen

Moved into a home. Noticed that the middle of our kitchen has a small hump. The inspector said the home foundation was fine so It doesn't seem like the foundation is slipping. All the things I've read about checking foundations was good. Didn't think much of it UNTIL my wife wanted to replace the kitchen tiles!

The existing tile is lamanent tile and it looks like it's maybe 5-7 years old. We have a crawlspace but I have not gone down there yet. But before I start shopping and do the new tile myself, anything from you experts out there that could account for the small hump?

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

VA

01-08-14, 04:53 PM   #2  
We have no idea how tall this hump is, where it is, what's under the laminate, and how old the house is.

Group Moderator

NE

01-08-14, 05:24 PM   #3  
Some pictures from inside the crawl space would probably help. We'd like to see the framing from underneath to know how the floor is framed, and where that hump is in the kitchen in relation to the framing down below. Also a picture of the kitchen floor, perhaps with the area of the hump circled to make sure we know what you are talking about.

It's hard to see your floor from where we're at, but we'll be glad to look at your pictures and try and help if we can.

CAL

01-08-14, 06:45 PM   #4  
thanks guys. Give me some time to get down there and take a pic. I think the hump is probably 1/4 of an inch to 1/2 an inch.

Group Moderator

NE

01-08-14, 06:53 PM   #5  
Does it seem like the hump is just in the laminate floor? Will it press down when you stand on it? Maybe it was installed too tight to the walls with no room for expansion and contraction and it's just swelled up and buckled, making a bubble in the room.

Search this Thread