Do I need a flat slab and how to do

Old 01-10-14, 01:07 PM
Do I need a flat slab and how to do

It is the 1st time, I am going to put laminator floor on my dining room. After removed carpet, the ground looks oK. (my house 10 years old). Checked the flat of ground, I found the slab is not even, not flat.
Q1: What is the rule that I have to level/flat the ground? Somebody told me that 1/4" each 10 feet, my slab is over this, so do I have to do level? If, I use as is (not level/flat), what will happen?
Q2: If I have to level, may I flat portion of slab? How to do? If using level material, it will spread whole slab, and take lots of labor/cost/time.
Q3. I bought level material from Lows, somebody told me that I also need to buy premium liq., some told me NO. What is the function of premium and should I buy,too?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-14, 08:48 PM
usually a 1/8 inch per 10' is standard. Laminate floors need to be straight or you'll get too much movement, separating seams and spongy feel. #2 you can use a self leveling compound that seeks its own level if mixed properly, use a straight edge to screed the slc in place, then flat trowel it smooth, use a sponge to feather in the edges. #3 the liquid is a bonding agent to help adhere and also to help the slc to flow out level

Old 01-11-14, 05:09 AM
Thanks. It looks I have to do leveling.
Q3: How to spread premium liquid? How thick it should be?
Q2: If I flat portion of ground, how to process its edge (sorronding area). My ground is not perfect level, and I only want to get flat, how to prevent slc from fluid all place?

Thank you again

Old 01-11-14, 09:45 AM
wen831 I was doing some research on self leveling compounds too. There are a lot of good reviews and tips if you look at the Home Depot online site. Also they talk about using a primer/sealer before the SLC, good discussion on consistency, how to mix it up (everyone says you need 2 people to do the job), problems with it setting too quickly (probably from folks not having enough water in the mixture and taking too long to get it mixed and down). Anyway, you might want to do a bit of reading up of those reviews. Hopefully some of the pros will also respond here!

Old 01-11-14, 04:13 PM
well, a pro has responded. the primer can be applied by using a paint roller or sponge, be sure to wear gloves because the primer is really hard to remove. put it on like your painting. Using a straight edge such as a piece of wood or metal edging, check the floor north and south, then east and west, mark the low spots, use the slc, using the straight edge to screed it. If you don't get it right the first time, you can also apply a sencond coat using the primer to bond to the first coat.

Old 01-11-14, 04:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Shine a flashlight across the floor to mark your high and low spots. You can simply lay a flashlight on the floor and point it in different directions. The light will throw shadows where the floor modulates. Use a sharpie to mark your floor so that it can guide you on your leveling project.

Old 01-18-14, 06:28 AM
level or patch?
Talked about local level, I was told that another way is to patch floor, instead of level, if I don't want level whole floor and am lack of the labor. How to do about patch? I think, house builder (supposed as a professional) can not do a flat floor, how can I do? What is the different between both? I have bought 5 bags of level material, may I use them to patch? Went to Home Depot, the sales guy at this area told me I don't need premium, why? Any suggestion or idea?

Old 01-18-14, 07:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
We can't see how bad your slab is. After marking off the low spots, what is the verdict? How low? How wide? Give us more details.

Went to Home Depot, the sales guy at this area told me
Mistake - You need a primer on the slab before you run your SLC. You have several pros answering your questions, don't listen to the stock clerk.

You can run SLC in the major areas and then return with patch to feather out the edges. Unless you are good, leveling with patch only is a challenge.

Old 01-18-14, 10:14 AM
Using 5' to measure, the lowest is 1/5". The problem is at the hallway, it looks flat, but using level check, one side is higher than other side ~1/4". I worry that, the inlevel will continue to other room. To get two room level, other room should put lots of level slc. How to deal with?