Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Hardwood over ceramic tile in basement

ND

01-11-14, 08:11 AM   #1  
Hardwood over ceramic tile in basement

Hello,

My wife and I are trying to decide how to get this small space working for us and we thought we would build it into a bar area. We have tile int he spot but not sure if we like it any longer with our cabinets we are considering and the color. We have some hardwood we bought a while ago that might work there.

This is a thread i started that has a picture of the area. Really small area but might give you some ideas:
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/ca...ml#post2213968

My questions are, can we do this and if so what is the proper process as we will have nothing to nail this to? What is the correct process.

Any issues putting hardwood in like this in a basement as far as moisture goes? This home was built in 2007 and we have multiple sumps with drain tiling etc so stays dry. (as long as it doesn't flood terribly out here)

Last, if we use this hardwood it is pretty thick and will cause it to be slightly higher than the carpet. Is there a transition piece that might make it more attractive by chance where the mediums aren't the same height?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

01-11-14, 10:53 AM   #2  
You qualified your own question..."as long as it doesn't flood terribly". If it does flood you can mop up water off tile. Not so on wood. It won't even burn well.

If this is a slab, you can install 5/8" click lock engineered flooring. No laminates, and nothing over tile. Unless you plan on a big transition.

ND

01-11-14, 11:08 AM   #3  
Thanks for the reply. I threw the flooding thing in there only because it happens but never had here and we are not in the flood plain.

Let me see if I understand. No laminates at skill in basement. I can install an engineered product on the slab? I cannot install anything over the tile however? Am I understanding that right? The only way to do this is to tear out the tile?

Thanks for the response.

Forum Topic Moderator

MO

01-11-14, 12:11 PM   #4  
You could install a "wood look" tile over the old tile. Assuming that it is securely adhered.

Search this Thread