Black spots on hardwood

Old 01-14-14, 02:22 PM
Black spots on hardwood

So I am in the process of purchasing a short sale. Home has been empty for few months.

I noticed in the past a couple of wear spots, but nothing like what I am seeing now.

The black spots are new, and the only thing i can think of that has changed in the home has been the temperature. Last time I was there was a freezing day in Cleveland, and inside the house was somewhere in the 20's (no heat, pipes are winterized)

Those spots in the photos are in the middle of dining room, mid living room, and against a wall in the living room. As far as I know there is no water source near these areas. Its a ranch, and bathrooms and kitchens are not close to the spots.

The woman did have dogs, maybe these are pee spots that were in the wood, and now with the cold they are turning black?!

Side note, I dont see any rippling or anything on the boards.

Im clueless here... so looking for any advice or direction.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-14, 02:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It looks like water stains I wouldn't think colder temps would have made much difference. Does the floor feel dry?

Old 01-14-14, 03:05 PM
Yeah, feels dry.

I tried scraping at it a bit. It did not accomplish much.

Im certain that they got worse from early december to a couple of weeks ago the last time I went.
I would have noticed that immediately.

Old 01-15-14, 02:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sanding/scraping won't help much as the stain is deep in the wood. There is a process for bleaching water stains out of wood [after sanding] but I'm not real familiar with it. If the stains won't bleach out you'll have to either try to hide them with a dark stain, replace the damaged boards or live with it.