Need Help Installing Pergo Laminate In Adjoining Rooms

Old 01-16-14, 02:08 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need Help Installing Pergo Laminate In Adjoining Rooms

Hello, I am going to be installing Pergo Laminate wood flooring in my home this weekend and this is my first time installing laminate and need some advice.

I am going to be installing this in my dining room and living room which are adjoined by an open double wide doorway. I want the flooring to seamlessly transfer through to the next room and not have a transition piece between the living room and dining room. I am unsure of which way to run the boards to achieve this though. Below is a diagram of the floor and numbered directions of which way to run the flooring.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24924[/ATTACH]

I am using Pergo Presto "Nostalgic Oak" Laminate flooring and MP Global "Best" underlayment over plywood subfloor not concrete. Here is a link to the underlayment:

MP Global Best 400 in. x 36 in. x 1/8 in. Acoustical Recycled Fiber Underlayment with Film for Laminate Wood-QW100N1HD at The Home Depot

Any other tips or tricks for a first time installer?

Thanks for all and any information!

Attached Images  
Old 01-16-14, 02:29 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
I would start along the long uninterupted wall in the living room which is represented as the bottom of your drawing. The planks parallel to that same wall. Do some test layouts or the width of the flooring (put a bunch of single pieces side be side) to find an optimal starting point so that you hit the archway with clean cuts and not slivers. This will tell you how big your initial rip cut will be. I usually remove the baseboard and undercut all door jambs and moldings so that I can tuck the floor under for a clean look.

Old 01-16-14, 02:57 PM
G
Thanks for your reply, I have removed all old baseboard and will be replacing with new as well as undercutting the door frames. If I understand correctly you recommend installing the flooring as pictured below?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24926[/ATTACH]

Attached Images  
Old 01-16-14, 03:46 PM
That is correct. I also assume that pattern is perpendicular to the floor joist, which is also the recommended installation procedure.

Again, don't start with a full row. Start with a cut that fits with the archway transition. Click lock a bunch of singleton plans together to figure out that starting row.

Old 01-16-14, 04:04 PM
G
Sorry, but I don't understand what you mean by not starting with a full row and instead doing a cut that fits the doorway. I know this kind of confusing through a forum instead of seeing it first hand!

Old 01-16-14, 05:17 PM
My references are to the width of the planks of laminate. Your first row is not automatically a full width row set up against the wall. You do a lot of math to make sure that when your rows progress to the archway, you do not have a sliver cut that will be unstable to the floors integrity. By laying out rows in advance, you can see first hand what the first row cut needs to be.

Do you have the laminate in your house? If yes, we can play with some pieces to demonstrate what the first row should be.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: