Tool to trim around laminate floor

Old 01-24-14, 07:56 AM
Tool to trim around laminate floor

I have laminate floor installed in my basement. It was installed by the previous owner. It's pooping up here and there, so removed the baseboard and there's not space between the laminate and walls. I don't want to have to remove it all and reinstall it, I would need to trim to create a gap between the laminate and the walls. I would then reinstall the baseboards and probably install quarter round to hide the gap.

Now the question is, what tool would be appropriate for this job? I would use a SkillSaw, set the proper dept to cut only the laminate and not the sub-floor, but it's too big so I wouldn't be able to cut close enough to the wall. I got a multi-tool that I can't select between different attachments, but it would take for ever and I wouldn't be able to make a straight cut. I also have a grinder whit cutting wheels, but I feel like It would probably just burn the floor instead of cutting it and it increases the chances of "oups".

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-14, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator
I'd think a jamb saw held vertically instead of horizontally would be ideal. Might have an issue in corners, but maybe the multi-tool there?

Old 01-24-14, 11:03 AM
Group Moderator
There is also what I've always called a close cut circular saw. Instead of having the big shoe that usually has 1" on the blade side there is no shoe outside the blade or it's very narrow. They are meant for trimming up close like you need.

I might take a walk through the tool department and measure different saws and see how much shoe they have on the blade side. You might get lucky and find an inexpensive one that it thinner though I think most are about 1". If you can't find one I would buy a inexpensive circular saw with an aluminum or magnesium shoe and use a hack saw to cut off the offending part of the shoe that get's in the way.

Option #3 would be to remove the base molding and cut as close as you can with your circular saw. Then conceal the gap with different moldings stacked up to conceal the gap. Base molding and 1/4 round can cover quite a gap and would not look out of place.

Old 01-24-14, 04:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
A toe kick saw will get you closest. The long board ends can be easily removed and cut on a table saw. Its the end cuts that will be a bear as to remove, you need to disassemble the whole floor. Not sure, but if you can rent a toe kick saw, plan on buying a new blade. Laminate dulls the heck out of blades.

Old 01-27-14, 07:07 AM
Thank for the replies! I will give it a try with a toe kick saw. I'll post back to let you guys know how it worked.

Old 01-27-14, 08:06 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
A Toe Kick saw will only cut two different depths depending on which blade you use, 1/2" and 3/8.
Cut to deep and it's going to hit concrete and destroy the blade.
One way around it is to lay down a piece of plywood so the saws not resting on the flooring.

Old 05-05-14, 08:43 AM
I end up finding that the best tool for the job was a simple tree branch cutter, quite efficient and lot less dust in the air too.

Old 05-05-14, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator
A tree branch cutter? What the heck is that? The only ones I know of are either loppers, pole saws, or mini-chain saws. Link a picture or something please?

Old 05-07-14, 07:55 AM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...ZL._SY300_.jpg

I used a dremel for the corners.

Old 05-07-14, 08:02 AM
Super Moderator
You used THAT to trim laminate? I don't think anyone here would have ever come up with that suggestion. If it worked for you...that's all that matters.