Will new poly match old poly?

Old 01-28-14, 02:39 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Will new poly match old poly?

Hi folks,

I've got a bit of a finishing dilemma and was hoping some of you could be of help. I recently completed a couple of patches on my 3/4 inch thick white oak floors, which are finished with oil-based poly. My wife and I made some minor changes to our floor plan that necessitated the patches. To make it so there wasn't a noticeable bump where the old flooring left off and the new flooring began I had to sand into the old flooring a bit.

My question is this: I was planning on fully finishing (two coats of poly) the newly laid flooring but only screening and recoating the existing flooring. I'm not sure what to do with the transitions where I had to sand into the preexising flooring, removing the poly. If I coat it all with new poly will I notice the transitions between new and old poly. How about on the old wood, where I had to sand off the old poly? Am I better off sanding down the existing floors instead of just screening and recoating them?

Does this make sense? Thanks in advance for any assistance you may be able to provide.

Old 01-28-14, 02:44 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 840 Upvotes on 737 Posts
If you poly all the raw wood, sand when dry [along with the rest] and then poly the entire floor the 'transition' shouldn't be noticeable. ...... it might take 3 coats over the new wood.

Old 01-28-14, 02:56 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Awesome. I just wanted to make sure I've understood you correctly.

If I do the following, it will look okay:

-- Sand and fill new wood
-- Put two coats of poly on the new wood
-- Screen all of the floors (new and old wood)
-- put down one coat of poly over the entire floor (new and old wood)

Old 01-28-14, 04:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,924 Upvotes on 1,728 Posts
Not sure I completely agree that it will disappear. I would definitely test a very small area first and see if the existing finish has yellowed in comparison with the new.

You certainly don't want to poly a large area (twice) and then not be happy with the results. Do the test area first. If it doesn't blend well, you will know it immediately.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: