Laminate floor to door threshold transition

Old 02-12-14, 09:41 PM
_
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Laminate floor to door threshold transition

Hi,

I need to install a transition between laminate floor and a metal door threshold. I have two different types of transition pieces that you can see in one of the pictures. My plan is to use the T-molding piece and cut off a strip on the side of the door so that there is a 1/4" gap between flooring and the transition piece. The attached drawing shows how. The problem is that underlayment and flooring combined are about 9/16" thick, but the transition piece is only about 3/8" tall (without the cap). So if I do this, transition piece will be 3/16" short of the floor and I need to compensate for this difference because I don't think the transition can just hang in the air. Would it be enough to install one of those metal rails into which the transition piece could snap to compensate for this? It doesn't seem like the rail would be thick enough. Another option is to cut a 3/16" thick strip of wood, glue it to the floor, then glue the transition to this strip. Are there other options? Thanks for any advice!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-14, 06:20 AM
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
I usually get an unfinished Oak reducer, stain it to the color of the flooring. Thickness usually is not a problem. Not sure if you left enough room, but it can be ripped down to size.

Millstead Oak Natural 3/4 in. Thick x 2 in. Wide x 39 in. Length Hardwood Carpet Reducer Molding-LM5917 at The Home Depot

Old 02-13-14, 07:01 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Are you sure you have laminate and not engineered flooring? Sounds like the latter, in which case you will need to get a transition like Z mentioned.