Plywood floor

Old 02-14-14, 03:33 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Plywood floor

I just recently read an article where the author cut ply into strips and then laid it as flooring and stained it. Turned out really nice actually. But I do believe the flooring was butted up against each piece tight, and with no cushion under it. Will this cause problems later? I tried looking for answers elsewhere and on her site, but it was just full of people telling how it was done wrong and this or that. It's the first I've ever seen something like that so for ingenuity I give it two thumbs up.. as far as how well it will hold up over time is what I'm curious about because I'd like to consider it an option to do in my own home....... once I rip out the purple carpet.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-14, 04:54 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Very bad idea here's just a few reasons.
Unless you where to order something like Teak and Holly plywood the top layer is soft and really thin.
How do you plan on fastening it down, just glues not going to hold it.
The gaps at the seams will open and close with the seasons.

Old 02-15-14, 04:28 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 203 Votes on 180 Posts
IMO it would be more trouble than it's worth. I'd install a prefinished hardwood floor and be done with it. Using plywood you wouldn't be able to do much sanding [to level it out or refinish later on] and it would have to be faced nailed. Lack of T&G would likely make for more squeaks along with adding to the gap issues. A lot of things they show on TV look neat but aren't all that practical!

Old 02-15-14, 10:10 PM
W
thanks guys. marksr's answer was what I was looking for I guess. The lack of tongue and groove. I just couldn't think of the correct terms when I was writing it. The rest of the problems you've all presented are minor in my eyes. I have no problem nailing a floor or that I won't be able to do much sanding. But the gaps were my concern. thanks.