Underlay for clic together floating engineered hardwood?


Old 02-17-14, 06:46 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 2
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Underlay for clic together floating engineered hardwood?


We are installing a Beaulieu 6 inch wide engineered wood floating floor that uses a unilin click system and no glue or fasteners of any kind.

We are a bit confused about what underlayment we should be using.

-30 year old one level rancher with plywood sub-floor
-hardwood is going in entire house (except bathrooms and laundry) total of 1400 sq. ft.
-entire house sits on a crawlspace that has a poured concrete floor
-bone dry down there, no moisture issues
-pink batten insulation sits in between the floor joists

What kind of options would be suitable for the underlayment. We would like to avoid something that does a lot of off-gasing if possible.

A gentleman at Home Depot suggested an Eco Cork product, but I don't know if it is the right thing to be using. It's specifically for laminate or engineered flooring and it seems to be a quality product. The cork sounds like a nice idea, but this particular product has a vapor barrier on the backside of it.

I thought you were not supposed to use a vapour barrier on a wooden sub-floor? In the product directions it says if using on a wooden floor to lay it down without sealing the pieces together with the adhesive strips so that the wooden sub-floor can breath.

It seems strange to be using a product with a vapor barrier but not actually utilizing the vapor barrier. Should we be looking for something without one or is this product okay to use if we don't seal the pieces together?

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-14, 04:02 AM
chandler's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 39,967
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Welcome to the forums! As always check with the flooring manufacturer for their recommendations, in order to maintain their warranty. If none is specified, I like to use Roberts underlayment. It provides a moisture barrier, yet it breathes. The dots go down and provide a channel for air to move.
Roberts, 100 sq. ft. AirGuard Premium 3-in-1 Underlayment, 70-105 at The Home Depot - Tablet
Old 02-18-14, 04:50 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 2
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you, I will check at our local Home Depot to see if they have the underlay you have suggested.

The only thing in the installation instructions about underlay states to run it up the wall slightly, otherwise they do not have any recommendation as to what type to use.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: