5mm underlayment too thick?

Old 02-18-14, 08:26 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
5mm underlayment too thick?

I am fixing to lay about 1,000 sq ft of 7mm Shaw laminate in my house. Shaw has a 2mm underlayment called Selitac. Selitac also makes a 5mm version of the same stuff, that seems to be used a lot in Europe... My issue is... Why is it not readily available and used here in the US?

My purpose for wanting the extra thickness is because my house is block (including interior walls) built on a concrete slab. So I want it for it's thermal insulation from the cold concrete floor, as well as for acoustics.

Would anyone have any experience with the Selitac 5mm Auqa Stop underlayment? Or any other thick foam underlayment like it?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-14, 08:24 AM
A
Also I had read that too thick of an underlayment will be too soft and cause the floor buckle, but I believe that only applies to the soft felt underlays correct?

Old 02-19-14, 10:38 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 89 Votes on 78 Posts
What does the laminate manufacturer recommend? You want to stay within that to keep from voiding your warranty.

Old 02-20-14, 05:02 AM
A
Shaw just says "any underlayment approved for laminate".

Old 02-20-14, 12:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
I am not a fan of laminate. But, as you stated too thick an underlayment can cause buckling and broken joints. 3mm of underlayment is not going to make a great deal of insulation value, so to avoid the problems, I would go with the thinner product. You are going to find the laminate will "clack" when you walk on it, but that is not from the underlayment, just the nature of the laminate.

Old 02-20-14, 12:57 PM
A
Yeah if money wasn't an issue we'd go with engeneered wood, but right now, with a baby due in a few months "hard cardboard with a wood picture on it" (laminate) is all the budget will allow. I think it will get us by for a while and CERTAINLY be better than the popping up VCT that's down now.