Help! Not sure what to do in my kitchen.

Old 02-19-14, 02:33 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help! Not sure what to do in my kitchen.

Ok everyone, I have some questions. I recently bought a home built in 1957, and we are in the process of updating everything. Currently, in the kitchen, there is a parquet floor over 1 (or more) layers of linoleum or sheet vinyl (I think it's sheet, can't see too much of it) from the 60's or 70's. The parquet appears to be glued down over the linoleum or vinyl.

Additionally, the floor in the kitchen is raised about 1/4" from the rest of the house because of these flooring additions. The subfloor is wood, over a basement (not concrete slab).

I'm not sure what to do here. We'd love to pull up the parquet, but with the glue I don't think there'd be any way to do so without disturbing the (probably) asbestos flooring/glue/cutback underneath.

We considered putting Allure vinyl planks over the parquet, but don't want moisture to become a problem. Will these happen is the parquet is sandwhiched between the vinyl planks and the linoleum, even if there's no concrete down there?

Is there any safe way to remove this flooring without creating a possible hazard?

Does anyone know of a good way to accommodate for changes in height between the floors without it looking ridiculous?

Thanks for your help everyone!

Old 02-19-14, 04:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,899 Upvotes on 1,705 Posts
Tear it out or have a company tear it out for you. It's done all the time.

Old 02-19-14, 08:56 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yea, having a company do it for us is way too expensive. Will there be moisture issue if we lay the vinyl over it?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: