Expansion Gap in Hardwood Floor

Old 02-23-14, 05:05 PM
Expansion Gap in Hardwood Floor

Hi everyone! I apologize if I am beating a dead horse with this post, but I really don't have a lot of time to look around for the help I need. Our home was built in the 1950s and obviously has solid hardwood floors. We have little to no expansion gap on 3 sides of the living room and a good 1/2" to 3/4" gap on the one side of the floor. I know that I need this expansion gap, so I don't think filling it is a good idea. I know my other option would be to put up a baseboard and probably a quarter round to help cover the gap. However, I would really like to be able to go with no baseboards at this time (all I should have to say to explain this is "student loan payments" and you should understand!). What are my options to hide this gap that don't involve spending a few hundred dollars? I need every dime I can get at this point in time, obviously, but I don't want my house to look like crap when visitors come over.

The majority of this wall is covered by my giant couch, if that helps. Also, we had to rip off the baseboards when we moved in last summer because the people who owned the house prior to us decided to only put baseboards where the walls were visible. As such, there were spaces where baseboards were missing behind where their furniture was placed. We did not know this until we went in to paint prior to our moving in. Very frustrating! I plan to fix the bottom of all the walls and paint to the floor and go with that on the other three walls, but I just need a little help figuring out what to do with this other wall.

Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-14, 03:56 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums. Catch 22. There's not much you can do. You need the expansion space, so filling it in may not be a good option. I would wait until money is looser and do it right, by installing base and possibly shoe molding. If you only have 3/4" showing, you may be able to cover it with just quarter round molding.

Old 02-24-14, 03:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Base molding - $2 linear foot
Shoe molding - $1 linear foot

Depot sells by the foot and you can cut what you need exactly. They also sell a prefinished shoe molding. How long can the wall be? Sacrifice a case of beer or soda for a week. You can probably do it for less than the price of the paint you are going to use.

We all have been there when times are lean. I know people that take yearly trips just by throwing their loose change in a big jar. Surprising how it adds up.